• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/72 Westland Lysander Started 29 Dec 2022 - 3 Mar 2023

Started by lastvautour, December 29, 2022, 06:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

One of two 1/72 and two 1/144 started this morning. All are in block form similar to the attached photo.

Lou

Gearup

lastvautour

Gearup

I guess the spats tricked me into thinking twin engine.... the local museum here has a Lysander complete but uncovered as a display.

Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

The fuselage is blocked cut, and the wing, spats, and horizontal stab templates are glued to their respective blocks.

Lou

lastvautour

I spend a very productive two hours today on my Lysander. Fuselage is rough sanded as well as the horizontal stab and the wheel spats. The wing is still in its block form. The thin center section will have to be handled with care until it is glued in place. The dowels are used to strengthen the joints. The first image shows the undercarriage in its original form. It was too narrow so other spat pylons were fashioned

Lou

lastvautour

I am finally satisfied with the landing gear. this is the fourth and final attempt. Decals have been created on my PC and will be printed shortly.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 3 Mar 2023. The undercarriage was quite the challenge as was the thin mid section of the main wing. Once everything was glued together, the models is just a strong and any other. My Lysander represents an RCAF 110 Sqn employed primarily in an Army Co-operation role.

lastvautour

Finally, a decent inflight photo.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Gearup

Hi Lou. I have followed the Lysander (along with others) and it is certainly a nice looking model you have completed. Standing next to museums Lysander here, it is a HUGE beast of a two place airplane. I can see how the landing gear is a major component of the build on this model.

Well done,
Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. I took four attempts before getting the landing gear to look right.

Lou