• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/144 Consolidated Catalina 29 Dec 2022 - 20 Feb 23

Started by lastvautour, December 29, 2022, 06:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

First of four new projects started this morning. All are in block form similar to the attached image.

Lou.

Gearup

PBY Catalina. High wing,  closely spaced twin engines. Big enough to look big at 144..?

Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

My Catalina has been given some much needed attention. With exception of the engine nacelles, the components are carved and sanding has begun. After having proceeded this far, I am encouraged to do a 1/72 at a later date.

Lou

Gearup

I had a very good friend who flew PBYs water bombing and transporting freight in northern Manitoba many years ago. He had many great stories to go with the airplane. He said it was almost impossible to come up with a more efficient seaplane design. After all it is a single float with wings! Plus it had the range to go to Hawaii direct from Vancouver on a tank of gas.

Looking great Lou!

Fraser

lastvautour

It was often called 90-90-90. It took off at 90, flew at 90 and landed at 90.

Lou

lastvautour

The fuselage, pylon, gun blister, and tail feathers are glued and await minor filling and final sanding. The wing and engines are also assembled and also await final sanding. The photo shows float supports are yet to be attached to the wing which is held on the fuselage pylon with a straight pin.

Lou

lastvautour

Primer has been applied and the main wing is attached. The dowel sticking out on top is a toothpick that will be cut once the glue has cured.

Lou

lastvautour

I found that painting with the wing in position was awkward, hence I removed wing to apply the camouflage. Extra dark sea grey and extra dark slate are called for. Flat black de-icing boots were follow by a light application of future wax. The floats and wing braces are also done as well as the decals. 

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 20 Feb 2023. My Catalina represents an RCAF 413 Sqn flying out of Ceylon circa 1943. The RCAF flew both the Consolidated Catalina and Vickers Canso. Many small parts made for a challenging build. The beaching gear is approximated by copying a Monogram 1/48 kit as I could find no drawings.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I was pleasantly surprised to find that over 1000 Facebook users felt the same.

Lou