• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Profiles, Box Art and other things

Started by lastvautour, April 13, 2008, 06:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

You have to join this site to see the profiles, however it is worth the effort. They have posted all "Aircraft Profile Publications" ever printed.

http://www.theboxartden.com/

I must warn you it is a sloooooooooooooow site.
Lou

teddon61

Lou, I was lucky enough in the late sixties or early seventies to buy over 200 Profiles from a man who just wanted to get rid of them. I bought them for $25, wouldn't part with them now for $500. The histories,drawings, and color schemes foung in each publication are priceless for modelers like ourselves. They range from WWI through airliners of the sixties.
I believe they were printed by the SQUADRON SHOP. At any rate, they remained untouched for years until I decided to pick up the knife and started on the road to solid models.
Ted Billings

teddon61

PS to Lou, I just checked out Profile Publications on E-Bay and was shocked to find that the few offered were around $8 each, one person offered the whole collection (262 publications) for $1,000. Guess it pays to collect and hold on. When I bought mine I had no idea about what I was going to do with them, I only knew that i liked them.
Keep the chips flying.
Ted Billings

lastvautour

Ted, they are treasures. I have a few but kick myself in the butt everytime I remember refusing to pay 50 cents for them in 1967. I considered them to be to expensive. In todays market it would represent a 2000% return.

Lou

teddon61

Lou, My memory is kind of fuzzy on this one, but I think at some point Squadron Shop printed all of the profiles in large hard cover books, several airplanes in each book. In my mind i'm thinking four books, but there may have been more.
I would think these books would be easier to find from used book sellers then the individual publications, although the heavier hard covers would not be as easy to enlarge from. I often whished I had bought them.
Everything seems expensive when first encountered, but over time the price seems reasonable. Many series of aircraft books have come and gone with me picking up only one or two of them, boy, I wish I had for-sight, I'd love to have them all now.
Good luck with your public display, I know you're going to love it.
Ted billings

lastvautour

Ted, you can easily download all the profiles from the BoxArt Den site. I plan on doing at least those I will be building.(in future)