• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buccfan

Thanks Lou, all copied for reference.Regards Paul.

lastvautour

Take a copy of the template and cut out the glass leaving the main frame. Make one side and then using a square, transfer lines across to the other side and mark of the canopy on the other side. Either make a template or free hand the curvature of the windscreen forward edge.

Make a vertical cut to line up the from of the windscreen edge. Remove the material and you will have notched front windscreen. Don't worry about the lines you have removed from the side, we will replace them later.

dave_t

I am following Lou's Hawk tutorial. See attached photo-

lastvautour

Excellent Dave. We will have a squadron of Hawks before this post is done. Have you selected colours yet? A great number of countries are using Hawks these days.

lou

buccfan

Thanks Lou, copied to file. That's coming on well Dave, I've saved your pic as well if that's ok.Regards Paul.

lastvautour

The Stab is reduced in thickness to approx 2,mm in the centre and 1mm at the tip. Notch the rear fuselage as shown. I made a line from the base of the windscreen to the top of the rear fuselage and will place the stab on it. Place the fin on top of the stab and make the shape. Remove material as to allow the fin to sit flat against the fuselage. This will create sort of a wedge shape stab spar.

lastvautour

Using a Mk 1 Eyeball computer, trace the shape of the nose area and cut to shape. Note that the cutting of the nose area is lined up with the rear of the windscreen Once done, trace a line 4mm from the edge and do all sides as per photos.

Repeat on the canopy and rear fuselage. Remove material to shape the fuselage as shown. You can retrace lines as a guide to removing more material before sanding to final round shape. I made a small guide from cardboard to check the roundness of my canopies as I have four to do.

buccfan

Thanks Lou, added to file, had a bit of rain today and hailstones so I cut out my templates ready to glue onto cardboard. I think I have found enough wood in my offcut bin to work with.Can I be a nuisance and ask you to do a rear view in the stab,fin,fuse joint.  Regards Paul.

dave_t

I notice on the template drawing, you show a slot for the horizontal stab. Thanks for clearing up how you attach that, in other words, don't cut the slot, but rather a step. 

Will the rear fuselage eventually taper down a bit?

lastvautour

Paul, rear pictures coming later.
Dave, you are correct in that my first Hawks have a slot. I thought it would be easier to make a step for a first timer. On making the other three Hawks, the step is working out OK, but next time I may revert to the slot.

I took a bit off each edge and will sand it to an oval. That all the photos I have for now. This evening I will return to the shop - I hope and proceed with the attaching of the parts and show how they interact.

Lou

buccfan

Thanks Lou, your display team are coming on a treat. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I am assuming your username is Buccaneer Fan. Is that the team or the aircraft? I am currently catching up on the other three Hawks and will post new material shortly.

Lou

buccfan

Hi Lou ,Buccfan would be the aircraft, another one I worked on. Regards Paul.

lastvautour

One of my favorites also, but all those compound curves. There are some decent drawings on line but I fear that this one will be the one that got away.

Lou

buccfan

I was also wondering if an Airtoon Bucc was possible, I have a few caricature profiles and they don't have all the curves of the real thing but still look good. These were made by the chap who painted the nose art on all the Buccaneers in the Gulf war one.Regards Paul.