• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Brewster Buffalo in 1/56 scale

Started by johnnytodd, October 18, 2017, 03:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnytodd

Busy autumn equals slow model progress.  Anyway this was started back in September and just finished this week.  Still on track to complete 12 models for 2017 (this is #11)

lastvautour

Excellent workmanship John. You have talent. I love your work.

Lou

Boomerang

FlyingS

Excellent workmanship!
Do you hand paint the whole fuselage?
How do you do the lettering?
Harv

johnnytodd

Hi Harv,  The fuselage is airbrushed where the blue meets the grey, otherwise everything is hand painted - no decals.

lastvautour

I wish I could paint like that. On your next project, give us a stroke by stroke tutorial on how you did it.

Lou

FlyingS

I've been thinking about getting an airbrush? Any pros and cons you can offer?
Harv

lastvautour

I have one but rarely use one on my wooden projects.

Lou

johnnytodd

Next project I'll give step by step painting progress.

Aichi Val is already underway!

Airbrush & compressor was a gift from wife a few years ago - I don't think it was too expensive - maybe $125.  It sat in the box until just this spring when I finally bit the bullet and tried to learn a new skill.... it's been frustrating how many pitfalls I encounter:  clogs, spitting, puddling etc.  more mistakes than success!  but it can give that fade transition and occasionally I achieve a decent spot cammo...  now attempting to produce a narrow line...

lastvautour

I gave up on narrow lines. I use rolled masking tape to give a soft edge or just mask as per normal. I fine that I could not master the fine detail work you see on other models. I just use it as I would us a spray can but now have the selection of many more colours. I use acrylic with a few drops of alcohol and it does well for me.

Lou

FlyingS

Good info, thanks. I'm trying to keep it simple for now, but I think it could be a useful tool. Right now I would be happy to have more time to dedicate to my models. My wife tells me I have too many sticks and not enough fire. My Bearcat is ready for paint, so this will be my first fully painted model.