• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

B-25 Mitchell

Started by Ken Pugh, March 27, 2011, 11:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Incredible painting Ken,there cannot be many of us that hand paint markings but it is very satisfying if you feel comfortable with it,I like it because the markings blend into the base colours of the model.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

The B-25J is now finished, though the stand is not ready.  I will upload pics when the plane and stand are together.

The machine guns are brass tubing blackened with Blacken-It.  Of course, black is a relative term with these chemical products as it is a blackish brown.  I have been wanting to try it and it does look pretty good.  It is obviously not painted so it stands out.

All of the markings I have not gone over in too much more detail here as that is now moved to the Painting Markings topic in the Paint and Finish section of Tips and Techniques.  Anything I have to add will go there and I suggest any questions on markings should be asked there.  I will be posting some marking guides when I can get around to making my own sketches.  The info is not copyrighted but the pictures I have came from a magazine.  I will just make my own sketches with the info on them and the site will be protected.

The model was coated with regular matte clear from a spray can.  I just didn't feel like doing much more than that.  I rubbed the finish down further with a Scotch Brite to dull it some more.

She looks real sassy with all those machine guns.  I would have hated being on the receiving end of that business.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

Full power ! those prop arcs look very realistic,good job there Ken.
Barry.

Peter

Wow Ken an awesome job!

Peter

lastvautour

Excellent workmanship. The sun glistening of the prop disc give it a very realistic effect.

Lou

What next?

Ken Pugh

Thanks, guys.  I didn't notice the sun on the disk.

Next up, a ship.  I have a solid kit of Rainbow, an America's Cup J class defender.  She was the slower boat but still won.  My plan is to place her in full sail in water.  I am using Philip Reed's method of making water, which is carving it from wood.  It is intimidating but I won't get good at it without trying.  The kit is unbuilt so I can show what is included in a solid ship kit, which is usually just a bunch of wood and a very poorly carved hull that may or may not be usuable.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

This I really must see,wood carved like water,it reminds me of the task that was given to trainee pattern makers some years ago,they had to carve chainlink from a solid piece of timber,no mean feat either.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Your Mitchell looks great Ken.  Thanks for shareing with us.
Mark

Ken Pugh

Thanks, Mark.

Philip Reed is famous for very small ship models.  He builds man of war models 6 inches long.  Check out the link below then scroll all the way to the bottom.

http://www.shipmodel.com/models/majestic-waterline

Looking at the water, picture in your mind that surface without paint.  Those small wavelets between the waves that look so realistic are actually the marks left over from a gouge.  The wood I am planning to use is not optimal for this task, but it will work.  Once the water is planned out, it is carved with a gouge.  The white caps are artists gesso.  Precision is not really necessary and it is probably best not to overwork the wood.  I am eager to try this out.  I have a book on the J boats with pics of Rainbow beating to windward.  So, I have plenty of reference pics for the scene I have in mind.

While I am doing this I also have a project my pastor dropped off during the summer.  I need to finish a TopFlite 1/5 Spitfire that someone built poorly.  Of course, he would like it real soon!

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I look forward to lots of pictures in doing that water.

Lou

Mothman

Oh, now that is where art does creep into modelmaking!  I started a set piece of Bluebird K7 on Coniston at the quay, with water carved from Perspex (Lucite) for the light rippling. It was a hell of a job keeping it light.  I used a minidrill with a spherical burr.
But the trick is more in the painting and oils are probably best laid on in thin glazes, as long as the oil painting method is known to you!

Looking forward to seeing it happen.
Martin

Balsabasher

What realistic water and in such a small scale as well,the method needs to be explored for flying boats as well which has given me some ideas to experiment with.
I once built the 'Kings ship' from a Hobbies weekly drawing,that would be worth doing a second time around as well.
Martin is Lucite available in small pieces to experiment with ?
Barry.

Ken Pugh

Mr. Reed even recommends practicing a few times before attempting water for a model.  Maybe I need to start out on a smaller scale first.  Maybe build a flying boat in water.  Thinking has commenced.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Looking forward to it.

Lou