• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flying Boat Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, January 17, 2008, 04:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

I was once standing on the flight deck of the USS Enterprise (the CVN one) when the QE II passed the other way in a narrow channel.  It took me a while to realize that it was the QE II because the flight deck was so high above even her.  It was quite a sight, though.  We were all gawking at the beautiful QE II, and all her ships' officers (there did not appear to be passengers aboard at the time) were looking at the Enterprise.

Garet

Kenny Horne

Hi Gang,  I've posted a cople of pics in my gallery of my Sunderland.  It is far from finished, but damn it's cute.  I love those Garet Scaleies.  I know it's not a real solid, but ...

Kenny

lastvautour

The Sunderland looks good Ken.

Oceaneer99

They *both* look sweet!  Nice job, Kenny.

Garet

cliff strachan

Hi,

I've posted a couple of photos of my progress on my Vedette. To date I've completed construction of the fuselage (still awaiting sanding sealer) together with the cockpit interior, the tail surfaces and the lower right wing. This project is proving to be more of an engineering challenge than I had expected. To solve the twin difficulties of attaining realsm together with model strength is an ongoing problem.

I've also posted a couple of three views together with a history of the aircraft both of which I hope you can download if desired.

Unfortunately, I inadvertently posted two identical shots which I would like to delete if someone could advise me how this is done.

Cliff.

cliff strachan

Hi Dave,

A pretty late reply but I've noticed that you've expressed interest in the Canadair CL-215 Water Bomber as a model subject. Just wanted to let you know that if you decide to proceed with this model I've been able to shoot a bunch of photos of one last summer that may be of use.

Cliff.

cliff strachan

More photos of my slowly evolving Vedette.
I'm now working on the top wing but, trying to prepare for the ultimate installation of thread wing wiring that will be strong and relatively easy to put in place, I'm having lots of design problems. So far I've tried at least three different methods.

Also, neglected to identify one of the photos. It's a closeup of another way of constructing wing ribbing. I've used a Gillette razor to cut very thin strips of masking tape that are then used to simulate ribs.

I also simulated the walk area used to enter the cockpit just visible in the top view. The whole wing is then covered in another coat of dope.

Cliff

cliff strachan

New views of the engine of my Vickers Vedette. As it plays a promenant part in the overall apperance of this aircraft I thought I should try to present my attempts at replicating the engine in 1/72'nd scale.

This is intended to show the general construction technique and scale:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1638

This second view shows the push rods in place with a coin for scale comparison.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1637

Finaly, a rear view showing the intake manifolds in place.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1636

Cliff

lastvautour

Outstanding detailed work Cliff. I cannot enlarge your last picture, the one taken from the rear. I took the liberty of adding links to the photos. Again, outstanding engines.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou. I don't know why the images won't enlarge. I'll work on that and perhaps you could advise what I'm not doing.

Cliff.

lastvautour

Are you reducing the size in order to transport them to the internet site?

Lou

cliff strachan

I'll check that out, Lou. As you know I don't have one of these so I'm dependent on Creative Retirement.
Cliff

R.F.Bennett

If the size is the same as the gallery page, The Image won't get any larger when you click it. If the original image is smaller than the image on the gallery page, it won't enlarge at all. Having said that, looking at the resolution of the images, I don't think you could get them much larger and still keep the detail. You have such a small subject that getting in close on it will be difficult.  :-\ 
I think you've done the best that can be done without a magnifying lens on the camera. After all, it is clear enough to see the grain of the wood. I can work on them if you would like to send me the originals via email.
"The Dude Abides"

Ken Pugh

I posted something in Tips and Techniques/Tools with a topic of Digital Camera Tips that offers some advice on getting clear detail shots.  Everyone may already know these tips but if someone is looking for answers, this may help.  I don't always follow my own advice on this one as I am just documenting a build.

Ken Pugh

cliff strachan

Thanks Ray.
I'll have to investigate all that. At present I'm using film, a macro lens on a K1000 SLR and scanning the prints into the desktop before posting them on our site.

Cliff