• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 DHC-2 Beaver

Started by Gearup, March 24, 2020, 06:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Picture 6 shows the unpainted engine after removal from the clay. I painted the engine overall with light grey and then used dark grey to paint the case and sump. After it was painted, I applied the ignition harness ring fashioned from thin wire to the case.

Picture 7 I am making the push rods from thin lead wire. I found the wire in the fly-fishing section of a sporting goods store. I marked out the length using a stop and cut it with a razor blade. This stuff is dead soft, cuts without any effort and does not launch itself in the great abyss of the shop. Again, I made lots of them because they still seem to disappear.

Picture 8, they do bend if mishandled. I used a popsicle stick to roll them over the board to straighten them up. Basically at this point is went around the engine applying the pushrods with tweezers after dipping the head-end of the wire in cyano. I then went around and replied cyano to the ends to ensure they stayed put.

So in picture 9 you see the completed engine next to a Canadian quarter. The elk appears to be scale sized at 1:48 too.

Gearup

cont...

buccfan

Thanks for posting a very detailed and interesting tutorial. The engine looks superb, excellent detailing on a small scale. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Beautiful engine. I have done 1/32 engines but none as small as yours. Great workmanship Fraser.

Lou
PS I re-posted your engine to Scale Aircraft Engines in the group/cook up board.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=365.msg19507#msg19507

Gearup

Thank you both for you kind comments. From lessons learned on this one the next might be better. But, I have to finish the beaver first.  Now working on the prop.
Fraser

lastvautour

This is a photo of the engine I will be doing along with a clear shot of the prop.

Lou

Gearup

The orange does provide a nice contrast to the grey cylinders.
Fraser

lastvautour

I was surprised to find an orange crankcase. Normally they are grey regardless of the aircraft colour. I will be starting my engine shortly and hope to complete the Beaver by year's end.

Lou

Boomerang

Excellent workmanship Fraser

Gordon

Marsh

Great work, going to be a nice model. Thanks for all the information. Marsh

Gearup

Still slogging away. Finally started to put on the white paint. Now I have to make the masks for the markings.

lastvautour

What colour scheme are you contemplating?

Lou

Gearup

It will be a red and white. I'll keep the scheme a surprise in case i change my mind :)
Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

Will you be making one of those wonderful metal frame work for attaching the floats?

Lou