• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

BE2C ( Bleriot Experimental Model 2C)

Started by Balsabasher, February 20, 2011, 12:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

The BE2C project is taking shape slowly.
Here you can see the two laminationsof the wing planforms have been left in the jig overnight to dry and shaped and sanded,this locks in the undercamber which is quite pronouced on this type,once they have been sanded then it is time to lock in the dihedral angle to do this I sawed through the wings and gently scalloped out the outer portion to mate with the centre section,this was laid onto some polythene sheet with a wooden support underneath and two weights added either side,the joint was then flooded with thin cyno and left to cure,next job as to add Micropore top and bottom then outside I flooded the joint,the cyno quickly spreads by capillery action and sets the Micropore like stone ! for anyone who has not tried this for structural areas then give it a try,you will find more uses,one word of advice do not touch it with your fingers otherwise you will tear your skin away.
As usual I could not resist trying on the wing to see what she will look like,the enormous exhaust stacks were furnished from copper pipe filled with solder first,then once bent to shape melt out the solder,I got the copper from an udertakers,goodness knows what they use that for and probably has some history to it ! but I am a magpie and accept material donations like this when presented and knew it would come in handy one day.
The paper ribbing strips will be added next after an initial coat of sanding sealer,then tissue doped into place as per all of my biplane subjects,always tremember to dope top and bottom together otherwise you will get warping,a tip that any flying modeller knows too well,pin the wings down with polythene sheet underneath to stop them sticking to the building board.
Barry aka Balsabasher.
( Larger images available under Balsabashers creations album)

Balsabasher

The BE2C is coming along nicely,today I ribbed the wings with Bond writing paper strips and then doped on wet strengthened tissue,when dry this pulls nicely over the ribbed surfaces and represents the stitched fabric that goes over the wing ribs themselves.
For the cabane struts I used oval steel nails held in a pair of Molegrips and took the hand grinder to them to simulate the streamlined section,oval steel nails come in different sizes and make splendid and really strong struts,you just need to rework them a little and point the end where the shank is.
To locate the wings make a simple 'tear away' jig,this slips around the wings first before assembly and once in place you just tear it away,works every time.
These biplanes do take a lot of extra work but in my opinion are well worth the extra effort to create period WW1 aeroplanes,next job which is currently underway is to fashion the interplane struts from spruce strip.
Barry.

Balsabasher

Today I made up the interplane struts fitting them carefully between the upper and lower mainplanes,there are versions of the BE2C with only one bay of struts to make life easier but I opted for this version.
The wheels were threaded with brass wire to the spreader bar and locked into position,a sand down and then a coat of grey primer to pull everything together.
If there had been WW1 recognition models then this is probably what they would have looked like ? however unlike the ones done in WW2 there would have certainly been complex production difficulties,probably why silhouettes were used instead.
Next job is to carve the big 4 bladed propeller which was started this evening,then to slot the blades together.
From this model I have learned a lot for my proposed RE8 and am delighted with the way that the wings have turned out,that same lamination jig can be easily used again.
Balsabasher.

lastvautour