• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Is it really September already ?

Started by Balsabasher, September 03, 2009, 11:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Where has this year gone to ? we never really had any summer here in the UK but as I cannot stand too much heat that suits me fine,as the nights draw in time to make up a few sets of blanks to work on during the darker evenings,nothing better than opening a bag of bits to carve away at,you can do the donkey work at the workshop and settle into some building.

Now here is a tip for you balsa modellers like myself,we all know that balsa dust is so light it flies and settles everywhere while you sand it ! well it need not be so,just get the biggest clear plastic bag that you can and stick your hands inside it whilst performing the sanding operation,the dust will settle conveniently into the bag,you soon get used to the idea and it certainly saves on clean up,I nearly always use this idea when working in the house,it keeps everyone happy.

Just drawn up the patterns this evening for the C-124 Globemaster,the drawings come from the excellent Koku-Fan ones in the SMM archives,it is going to be a real challenge but it will be completed and perhaps form the basis of that winter project I was talking about.

Another exciting project will be a Hurel Dubious high aspect ratio aircraft,I remember seeing one of these at an airshow in the fifties,it simply dwarfed everything else on the airfield,I have the silhouette of it so it will be scaled up soon.

Also thought about building up some old solid kits that I have,may as well enjoy building them as they are no good sitting in their boxes,much better as models of their day and you can always display the box and plan alongside,but first of all scan the plan and deposit it here for everyone to enjoy.

Well thats my plans for the next few weeks,probably lots of surprise items along the way besides.

Balsabasher aka Barry.