• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The day that a solid model said it all.

Started by Balsabasher, July 29, 2009, 09:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Here is a true story that relates to my father who did his flying training on Boeing PT-17 Kadet's at Lakeland in Florida on the Arnold Scheme some 70 years ago, set up by Uncle Sam, imagine the scene as a high ranking officer inspects the billets checking on bedding,tidyness on the new cadets,as he walks amongst them he stops suddenly in his tracks seeing a solid model of a Kadet on the locker by my fathers bedside,he walks over and picks up the small model that has been lovingly fashioned from firewood and a few simple tools such as a trusty penknife sat around an open wood burning stove with his colleagues looking on, he turns around to my father and says 'What his your name son ?' my father replies 'Clay sir !' he connects a well known general by the same name and smiles still holding with great care the solid model,his approving smile speaks mountains,here is a cadet that has been proud enough to make a model of the very airplane that he is learning to fly on albeit still in white primer, pending scrounging some real airplane chrome yellow dope !
I am now custodian of that very model,with its rusting piano wire rigging,cracked dope and a delightful hand built radial powerplant up front I treasure it,it could be restored but I prefer to keep it original in his memory.
I just had to share this story with you all.
Balsabasher aka Barry.

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"

Balsabasher

Yes that is in hand RF ! I need to nip over to the collection tomorrow to photograph this little gem for you,we have had constant rain here all day long in the UK,throwing it down and everyone has kept indoors.
Balsabasher.

Balsabasher

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_cb17dc30.jpg

(Why will the image not appear here ? )

you must put [img] in front of the address and at the end of the address. No space before or after the address.

Mark Braunlich