• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flying demonstration team cookup

Started by Ken Pugh, January 28, 2008, 06:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

As I look at an article on the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels I am dreaming of building a collection of these planes.  May be a good cookup subject in the future.  This would really stress those painting skills, or decaling skills as the case may be.  When you consider the international teams we have today, this would be a huge pool of possible subjects that are extremely colorful.

Of course, I am still working on my submarine and I just have to build a flying boat.  My major Hellcat build is slowing down production!

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Yes Yes yes, aerobatic teams are a must. They span n from early biplanes to ultra modern jets. Count me in when it starts.

teddon61

another project which would be interesting is the MISSING MAN FORMATION, one could use all one type of planes, or as witnessed in such places as Oshkosh, a combination of war birds from different eras.
Ted Billings

Oceaneer99

Ray posted an Air Progress drawing of the F9F Cougar in Blue Angels livery which caught my attention:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-628

Lou, you made one these, didn't you?

Garet

lastvautour

I have not tried the Cougar yet but would be more interested in the Panther.

lastvautour

To clarify my position, I would build a single demonstrator aircraft. Some that come to mind would be aerobatic teams from the 50s/60s/70s.  However, I am not even remotely close to committing yet. Too much on the bench.

lastvautour

It has been a while since this post has been revived. The first selection is the RAF Red Arrows BAe Hawks demonstration team. The AirToon version is presented for your viewing.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

I was fortunate to see the Frecce Tricolori aerobatic team in person in spring 2000 while on military duty in Italy. They are very impressive. I have started with drawings from http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/ and sized them to 1/48 scale. So far the fuselage block lamination is drying in 5 clamps and one wing plug has been cut.

Lou

lastvautour

The Aermacchi MB-339 was harder to complete than first anticipated but enjoyable regardless.

Lou

cliff strachan

Very nice indeed,  Lou. I'm sure  it was worth all the effort.
Cliff.

lastvautour

Thanks Cliff. They are always worthy of completion. Next time I will attempt an easier colours scheme.

Lou

lastvautour

Wikipedia quote: The Blue Devils or the 410 (F) Squadron Aerobatic Team was a Royal Canadian Air Force aerobatic team that flew the de Havilland Vampire jet aircraft from 1949 to 1951. The unit was the RCAF's first postwar aerobatic team, and belonged to the RCAF's first operational jet fighter squadron, No. 410 Squadron. Unquote

1/48 Scale DH-100 Vampire

Lou
P.S. My last military posting was with 410 Squadron. 410 Squadron and 433 Squadron share the CF-18 Hornet Demonstration team duties.

buccfan

Very nice Lou, the decal flashes turned out great. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour