• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The stab starts off being 10mm thick. Cut the centre line of the stab leaving 5mm of material. Make off the tip to centre lines as shown. Remove material as show using a knife or chisel. Careful there, this is where I cut myself quite deeply. One should put oneself into his projects, the spilling of blood is not required.

lastvautour

Next spit some wood and reduce to 1mm thickness. Cut sections 10mm long and 2.3 mm wide. I use a block with various cuts and ledges as a guide. The flap hinges which are cut out with the leading edge being from the front bottom corner to a point 1/3 back at the top and the trailing edge top to bottom cut to form a triangle. The under fuselage stakes are cut to the pattern provided. 6 hinges  and 2 stakes are required.

lastvautour

The pitot boom is a round toothpick cut to size and usually exaggerated to no end.
Since I am making a formation of Hawks I require 60 parts.

We will take a break now and return tomorrow with shaping and sanding.

dave_t

What is the length of the fuselage template?

lastvautour

Dave the image is a scan of a cut off 8.5" page. I am upstairs now and all my stuff is downstairs. I would guess around 5". I will measure and get back to you.

Lou

lastvautour

For  Dave, I may have led you astray. The F-18 is 5.5" and the hawk is approx 5".

For  Paul, one of the most important things is to keep your significant other in good spirits. So clean up after yourself. This hobby has a habit of visiting all corners of the house.

buccfan

Wow Lou, there's no stopping you   :o,that's a very detailed tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Having seen the pics as well as as your comments it makes things a lot easier to understand. Do I have to cut myself or is that optional?. I will remember to tidy up as well.
                                       Best regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Bleeding is optional, the enjoyment of the hobby is priceless.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou I notice that the local joinery shop from where I scrounge wood has two sets of doors to the office area,this is to stop the spread of dust and debris from the wood cutting,my own workshop is divided into two one where the Tawney Owl lives and the other my winter quarters despite shutting the door dust settles everywhere on everything,the local art shop does picture framing at the back and the wife who runs the shop side is always dusting the painting stock from the wood cutting operations on those frames,this is a international problem ! but your shop always looks nice and tidy.
Barry.

lastvautour

The camera hides a lot. Dust is all over the house. I frequently do the vacuuming(Hoover in UK) to avoid hardships!!!! Sweeping up and closing doors help, but I have to dust my collection often.

Lou

Balsabasher

Problem is heightened with balsa dust floating literally in the air,it gets everywhere,yesterday the wood shavings in the yard were getting airborne themselves being sucked upwards ! I guess that we just have to live with the inconvenience and accept is as part of what we do.
Out of the wood we actually use a hefty percentage is just plain scrap and must amount to tons of the stuff,I bet the kit manufacturers have a real problem with waste material ?
Barry.

dave_t

Do the wings taper or are they 2mm thick throughout?

lastvautour

Dave, I usually taper down to 1mm. Speaking of wings, the Hawk wings are tapered next using a chisel or whatever tool you wish. Once sanded, mark the location of the wing on the fuselage and cut out a 3mm section to slide the wing into. It is better to cut slightly inside the line to provide a tight fit.

lastvautour

Once the material is removed insert the wing and line up the rear edge of the intake trunk to the trailing edge of the wing and mark the under side of the intake. Next mark off 3mm section to fit the wing into. And voila! The extra piece on my intake is because of to much eagerness and I took off the tip in error then could not find the exact piece that fell in my garbage bin.
Moving right along.

lastvautour

Mark off 4mm from the outer edges of the intake block and remove the material between the lines. Once done either carefully use a knife or sand paper to round things off.

That all for today, unless I find time later this evening.
Everybody have a good one.

Lou