• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Disfunctional Drawings In Gallery

Started by ScaleAero, May 14, 2012, 09:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScaleAero

Being new to this forum and site, I visited the gallery where I found several image files no longer functional.
One in particular is:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/Comet_China_Clipper_BW.gif

Does anyone see an image above?  That's what doesn't occur when using the above file.
Ed
ScaleAero.com

cliff strachan

Hi! I was naturally afraid that some very old Comet 3-views of the China Clipper that I had posted for the group had somehow been deleted. But if you do a search for China Clipper they come up OK. Hope this is what you were looking for.
Cliff.

Oceaneer99

The gallery page for the image is at:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=4280

And the full image seems to load fine for me when I click on the album page.  However, I have seen issues before with some computers/browsers not liking the large GIF images.  I changed to a file link so that you can right click on the  http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/Comet_China_Clipper_BW.gif part and save directly to your computer.

Garet

lastvautour

Images not loading aside, welcome to the site. If youneed or want anything, it is just a post away.

Lou

ScaleAero

Thanks,

I have no problem working with all formats elsewhere so it should not be an issue here. In
my scale r/c hobby I do a fair amount of design work with formats requiring more than .gif.
It surprised me to see the image issue.

Ed
Ed
ScaleAero.com

Oceaneer99

Ed, contact me via email (oceaneer99) if you are still having problems loading the image. I'd like to understand the source of the problem and how to fix it.

Thank you,
Garet

Balsabasher

A warm welcome Ed,you will find there are a few former radio scale modellers here amongst us,myself included,I hope that you enjoy and can utilise some of the lovely drawings in our archives to produce great models.
Barry.

ScaleAero

Quote from: Oceaneer99 on May 15, 2012, 06:20:22 AM
Ed, contact me via email (oceaneer99) if you are still having problems loading the image. I'd like to understand the source of the problem and how to fix it.

Thank you,
Garet

Its not that the server address is not making the trip, its an image error indicator standard that appears...a
box the size of the image perimeter with only an X in the upper left corner. Since about 4:30 this morning I
have been editing some CAD files with imported gif conversions of more highly compressed .jpg to remove
abbrations so they could be more cleanly worked with.

This was done using Adobe PhotoShop & MS Image Editor with little effort following standard protocols. There
are multiple professional level .gif formats in the graphics industry which if legacied show up downstream from
time to time. Many of these evolve from their point of origin within Xero's propriatery integrated products.

In my realworld occupation as a system integrator of directed task management systems these pop-up most
frequently in government and industrial image archives. There are multiple .tiff and .tif interrations as well. All
this relates to clean image compression of very large drawings...as found in lofts of manufacturing facilities and
architectural designs containing the entire infrastructure of a structure.

Not trying to make me sound like a graphics big whig ;^). Just trying to explain in non-technical terms where I
ran into this previously. Most of the time I save my line drawings in .png, .tif~.tiff, .dxf, or .dwg to more easily
be imported and used in vector programs more cleanly (read as with less abbration...digital noise).

Thanks for everyone's addressing my personal issue...as obviously the rest are seeing what I have not in this
box...a desk top.

I suspect this may very well be an issue with the actual ram displacement of the .gif file since I need to add a
chunk of ram to this machine since I resurrected it following some cooling issues on my Toshiba traveling work
horse popped up.

Toshiba's 17" notebooks are infamous for their over-clocked processors and the "six" fans inside to "attempt"
to cool them when graphics programs demand the most from them. Toshiba replaced board in mine three years
ago. Before it blows its top again I am taking it to the Geek Squad to get it vacuumed out as the inboud air is
from fans on the bottom with exhaust air rising through keyboard and fans along its back. Increasing memory
this week will probably clear up this desk top's issue.

Ed
ScaleAero.com

ScaleAero

For what ever reason that image file is still DOA.

I have a question about the size of scanned files in the archive.
Are any of these in the range of 1000 pixes or larger in width?
Unless a drawing is at least that width its difficult to manipulate
raster drawings for modeling resources.

If they were vector drawing format or .pdf in higher resolution a
file could be utilized easily instead of a kinda sorta resource.

Not complaining, just wondering if the owners of the files would
consider re-scanning to a different file format at higher rez... :)
Ed
ScaleAero.com

Ken Pugh

I continue to have the same problem with some of the files but have given up.  It appears to work on some computers and not on mine.  The B-29 images have also given me troubles.

On a side note, if I ever figure out a free or extremely cheap CAD program that will let me load an image, then make another layer and trace over it so as to made a CAD version of three views, watch out!  I don't speak CAD but want to learn.  I would like to use it to make templates for cutting pieces for my models using the above stated methods.

Ken Pugh

ScaleAero

Ken,

You can use the free Google sponsored Sketchup 3D CAD. It is easier as it does not legacy
many of the branded issues accompanying many CAD 2D and 3D programs. An inexpensive
upgrade provides additional utilities if and when they are required.

Enjoy.

Quote from: Ken Pugh on July 03, 2012, 01:14:41 PM
I continue to have the same problem with some of the files but have given up.  It appears to work on some computers and not on mine.  The B-29 images have also given me troubles.

On a side note, if I ever figure out a free or extremely cheap CAD program that will let me load an image, then make another layer and trace over it so as to made a CAD version of three views, watch out!  I don't speak CAD but want to learn.  I would like to use it to make templates for cutting pieces for my models using the above stated methods.

Ken Pugh

Ed
ScaleAero.com