• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

SMM: Where it may be going.

Started by cliff strachan, June 13, 2012, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Hi Everyone, As I've threatened elsewhere, my contribution to the annual Model of the Year - because I may not be able to finish a model this year - may actually take the form of initiating a number of ideas for the consideration of the membership. So here goes. But firstly, I would hope that many of our more reticent members will respond for, while I believe that we have enough members, many it seems do not partake.
To begin perhaps greater consideration should be given to categorizing the number of areas in which The Model of the Year is broken up. I'm thinking primarily of the fact that entrants in the ships category or the surface transportation - cars are more or less left out. I know that I am personally insufficiently knowledgeable in this area to vote constructively. Also it is patently clear that in a Group wherein most of the models are of aircraft modelers of ships for only one example may feel sort of leftout.
I believe that the individuals involved are doing a tremendous job - both with respect to model construction and in Lou's dedication to setting up and promoting the group's activity. However, hopefully further discussion may lead to a more equitable distribution of votes. At least more of our Group may become involved.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cliff I think that you have some valid points there,perhaps we can also break this down into groups of models as well,ie as follows-

1/Basic solid model construction as per ID type models,'greys' or basic wings/fuselage/tail type models would also count in this area.
2/Detailed super solids that exercise a lot of man hours to bring them to what they are.
3/Boats
4/Cars
5/ Sci Fi etc

I am not sugesting we complicate things, merely make it so that every ones skills are considered depending upon what type of model they build an to encourage more people to build over the year knowing that they will have a suitable category to enter into.

This is a good subject for discussion so please bring your points and suggestions forward so a possible formulae ca be arrived at.

Barry.

cliff strachan

Thanks Barry for the input. Your remarks have been the first comments received. They require a lot of thought but SMM has a lot going for it and, I believe, has reached the point where new initiatives and views may be worth considering - may even get other guys or even, who knows girls in the future, coming out of the woodwork. In the meantime we wait.
Cliff.

Peter

Maybe there should be an amateur/newbie/first timer category and master/experienced builder category. This make new and first timers a little more willing to throw their hat in the ring.

Bulding on Lou's poster idea has anyone thought of making a video of their solid collection and setting it to music? The video could be put on Youtube with a link in the video for the site. My teenage boys spend hours on their looking at stuff.

Peter

lastvautour

A video would be a good idea. One needs to find out how to make one and how to post to U Tube. The beginner's section is also a good idea. Some sites have a board like our project boards just for beginners. Worth discussing further.

Lou

Balsabasher

Some really good ideas coming from this,I like the idea of a beginers board,we can encourage newbies with special tutorials like Lous fine efforts,simple block models that we can provide the basic shapes.
U Tubes exposure is far and wide,you can transfer files direct I a told,a presence there woud be excellent.
I think it is important to realise that we are the last custodians of a wonderful hobby from te past, and as such attempt at least to keep it in the public eye and show just what an be done with raw wood and the ultimate pleasure derived.
Perhaps a few eperiments making a promotional film with a view to uploading it to U Tube would be a great idea.
Even a Facebook page would work and uploading files there is easy.

Things that spring to mind-
1/ Building a Spitfire in wood.
2/ Building a boat in wood.
3/ Building a tank in wood.
4/ Tips on making models in wood.
5/ Tools needed,basic.
6/ How to use scrap materials to make models.
Etc.

Barry.

Peter

Barry,

A Facebook group is an excellent idea. I belong to a group for building ships In bottles it's quite busy.

Peter