• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

FROG Penguin Kits

Started by Oceaneer99, October 09, 2011, 07:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

We received an e-mail from the webmaster of the Frog Penguin web site asking:

Since the Penguin range appeared in the same era of the wooden solid scale models, I was wondering if you know anything about other Penguin kits, especially the wooden Penguin Series 9 models which were probably available for a very short period at the end of 1945 and the beginning of 1946....

With kind regards,
Peter van Lune
The Netherlands
webmaster www.frogpenguin.com

Will

Hi,

I have an incomplete Frog Penguin Series 9 "1/72nd scale Wood Construction Kit" for the Dakota, Catalogue no. 937 P9.  The box has an illustration of a Lancaster on it so I presume it was the same for all the kits - the dakota is on a tiny label seal at the end.  I only have the basic airframe parts which are in wood.  The box refers to "Full Detail Drawings & Building instructions * Templates * Wood Parts Cut to Outline".  I am missing the "Moulded Cabin, Airscrew, Spinner & Wheels * Insignia" as well as the wood engine nacelles.
The parts i have are illustrated here:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=6216
The wood parts are some kind of softwood, definitely not balsa, the fuselage appears to have suffered a worm attack at some time
The instructions are a 3-view with colour scheme, various detail sketches and written advise - I will upload to SMM in due course.

I'll send a copy of this message to the frog webmaster

regards
Will

Mark Braunlich

FROG Penguin Series 9 solid kits currently on ebay:  Hawker Tempest and DH Mosquito

Will

Quote from: Mark Braunlich on November 30, 2011, 09:56:50 PM
FROG Penguin Series 9 solid kits currently on ebay:  Hawker Tempest and DH Mosquito

Mark, sold at 62GBP for the Tempest and 73.25GBP for the Mosquito - there must be some keen collectors of Solid Models, or maybe its for the Frog completists.

I saw a Skybirds Mew Gull went on ebay for around 215GBP recently, though thats a built metal plane rather than a kit so not really SMM.

Will

Will

Hi All,

Peter van Lune of the Frog Penguin website sent me some photos of his collection of unbuilt Frog Penguin series 9 kits which were wood blanks with plastic details.  I've uploaded them to the kit sightings album.  He prevailed on me not to build the remnants of the Dakota so its now with him - it was the first Dakota kit he'd seen.  All these kits are rare, especially the larger ones as the series 9 was only available for a couple of months, probably between Dec.1945-Feb.1946.

Peter says he now owns 8 out of a list of 19 that were issued (with one possible issue).
How rare? - he wrote that he was offered a Lancaster (unbuilt complete in box) for a figure of $1000,- which he "gladly" declined!!!

If you do ever find one of these kits please contact Peter.  He may be Dutch but his English is excellent and he wrote that he's preparing a history of Frog Penguins, including the wood kits and would be interested in filling the gaps in his collection, even if just with a photo if you want to keep the kit.

Regards
Will

Balsabasher

I passed a Lancaster by at an aviation fair three years ago for £35,I spent a lot of money that day on other things otherwise I would have purchased it.
Barry.