• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Aluminum Overcast [was: Long Distance Flights Cook-Up]

Started by Will, December 31, 2011, 11:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Cliff,

Those were great shots of Aluminum Overcast.  The sound file reminded me how QUIET a B-17 is - Sally-B was at Bournemouth Air Show this year.  A single Merlin is unbelievably more noisy, say in a Spitfire, I assume because it has open exhausts where the turbo-superchargers on those radials must give some form of silencing!
A couple of years ago we were passing my parent's local church when the guests at a posh and presumably RAF wedding came out.  It seemed they were waiting for the photos when with a CATACLYSMIC ROAR the BBMF Lancaster came over the church at under 100 ft, dropped DOWN into the valley and climbed away - we were level with it at that point (the church is on a slight hill) and I can assure you being a few hundred feet from full throttle unsilenced 6000hp makes you grin like an idiot.

Happy New Year All!

Will

cliff strachan

Glad you licked the B17 shots Will. Your remarks concerning the difference in sound deserves further scrutiny.Generally, the sound of an aircraft is one, if not of actual aircraft recognition, a source of at least the type of aircraft. Thought the photos would prove interesting to modellers.
Cliff.