• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The Modelling Medic

Started by Will, May 10, 2011, 12:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hi Guys,

I found this photo in a book about RAF Fighter Command (there was also a photo of "Ginger" Lacey building a model plane but it was a free-flight type).  The official caption at the IWM states:
"Flight Lieutenant J G Eadie, Medical Officer at No 11 Group headquarters at Uxbridge, photographed with part of his miniature air force, 16 April 1943."

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/media/images/Photographs/Image/CH_009234.jpg
In the book the photo is larger and these models look very good and well detailed models.  I wonder if they were based on kits or scratched?  The planes appear to be 2 types of Spitfire, 2 Hurricanes, a Beaufighter, a Mosquito and a Wellington.  I think he's holding a Douglas Boston (Havoc?).
Intriguingly, given the colour arguments that rage on other fora, the upper wing roundel colours appear reversed on the Mosquito and one of the Hurricanes.  Presumably the Doc would have coloured them the same as the others, so perhaps the film-stock (pan- or ortho- irrelevant as it's the one photo) registered a different make of dope on these two planes?  I guess he would have been able to "liberate" small quantities from the paint-shop for his models.

Regards
Will

cliff strachan

Thanks Will. Those are indeed wonderful photos. I'm especially intrigued by the fact that all the models shown have been constructed with landing gear in place. As the construction of wheels etc. is very time consumming - I'm in the process of building the landing gear for a 1/96th scale Mosquito - this is really a great finishing touch and, considering the time required, almost like building a second model.

Can't help wondering what has happened to the models since the photos were taken.

Cliff

dave_t

Could some of them be "Skybirds" kits? They had quite a bit of detail.

See attached picture (also note the prop discs)-

Balsabasher

Fascinating photograph Will,I wonder if any of the models still exist somewhere ? they look to be of a very high quality as well.
Has anyone else seen the excellent collection of offbeat USAF/USN types displayed in cabinets at the Shuttleworth Collection  ? these were built by a member of the USAF when serving in the UK and donated to the flying museum when he left to go back to America,I think he was a medical officer as well,the collection covers just about every one off or experimental type tested for the U.S Air Force,they are all solids and goodness knows where he got some of the plans from as the types are so rare ?
Barry.