• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

More Pollitt Drawings

Started by Will, May 09, 2011, 01:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hi Guys,

I've uploaded a couple of period "bandits" for Dave's Spitfire, together with a helpmate!
Dornier 17

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5717
Messerschmitt 109

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5715
Hurricane

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5716

I've a few more from that book to upload later, I presume the French aircraft were hoped to still be in the fight when the book was prepared!

Regards
Will Booth

dave_t

Thanks Will. I had a look at them and, like the Spitfire, they all look a bit off. 8) 

Can't wait to see more of them.

Balsabasher

Will he more I see of these old plans the more their charm comes through,I am going to build a few of them exactly as presented to show people how some draughtsmen interpreted well known designs back in the war years,these plans come in a special historical category of their own having beeen drawn from what photographs were available back then.
The thick lines,the strange bold black areas could also be reproduced on the model.
Barry.

Will

Hi Guys,

I've uploaded some more of Mr. Pollitt's drawings, I'm nearly halfway now - they're all scanned but the upload and notes takes a bit of effort.

Some of the French types are really odd, considering they are reknowned for their aesthetic sensibilities.

Regards
Will

Balsabasher

Will I rather like that Bloch 151,it would make a lovely subject for a model,well done with the uploads,I know the effort it takes and really appreciate your work.
Barry.

Will

Hi Guys,

I think virtually all the drawings from C.A.H. Pollitt's 1940 book "Scale Plans of Military Aircraft" are now uploaded.  The following 39 types are included (some were uploaded quite a while ago – use the search for Pollitt in filenames):

British
•   Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley
•   Blackburn Roc
•   Blackburn Skua
•   Boulton-Paul Defiant
•   Bristol Beaufort
•   Bristol Blenheim (mk.IV long nose version)
•   Fairey Albacore
•   Fairey Battle
•   Gloster Gladiator
•   Gloster F5/34 (unsuccessful competitor to Spitfire & Hurricane)
•   Handley Page Hampden
•   Hawker Henley
•   Hawker Hurricane
•   Supermarine Spitfire (uploaded a while ago - "THAT" plan!)
•   Vickers Wellington
•   Westland Lysander

French
•   Amiot 370
•   Bloch 151
•   Dewoitine 510
•   Morane-Saulnier MS406
•   Potez 63

German
•   Dornier Do17
•   Dornier Do215
•   Heinkel He111
•   Heinkel He112
•   Henschel Hs126
•   Messerschmitt Bf109
•   Messerschmitt Bf110

American
•   Curtiss A-18
•   Curtiss 75a Hawk (export version of P-36)
•   Curtiss Helldiver (biplane)
•   Curtiss XP-40 (uploaded a while ago)
•   Curtiss YP-37 (1942 plan uploaded some time ago as XP-37, sorry I forgot to scan the 1940 version, I will upload it soon)
•   Curtiss-Wright CW21
•   Douglas 8A (Northrop A-17?)
•   Grumman F2F
•   North American NA-50
•   Seversky P-35
•   Vought SBU-2

Some, like the Dewoitine and the Grumman must have been virtually museum pieces by 1940, I guess Mr Pollitt wanted to include a wide selection and had to use information he could get hold of.  Enjoy looking and building some of them!

I will upload the revised 1942 drawings in due course, which are generally better if less characterful, though my copy is missing most of the twin-engined types which were fold-outs.  These books are pretty fragile, I don't suppose anyone expected them to last 70 years or so...

If anyone particularly wants a plan from the "Aircraft of the Fighting Powers" series (there's a list online here - http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.colinusher.info%2FIndexes%2Fscale172.xls&rct=j&q=aircraft%20of%20the%20fighting%20powers%20afp%20172&ei=_mLWTZqJL4ap8AON1eWECw&usg=AFQjCNGyGvtR9Ws2PovfQZ1TPyCY1--JEw&cad=rja), let me know and I'll try to upload it.  Not more than one or two though please as there's 500plus in the 7 volumes!!!  Some will already be on SMM as the same drawings appear to have been used in the Aeromodeller (same publishers as "Aircraft of the Fighting Powers" and "Scale Plans of Military Aircraft") and I suspect possible cross-fertilisation in the case of some of the USN-ID drawings.

Regards
Will

Balsabasher

Well done Will,your efforts are much appreciated,those fragile pages are now preserved for posterity.
Thank you,Barry.

dave_t

Will,
   Thanks very much for going to all the trouble in scanning and posting the drawings. I really enjoy looking at them.

I already discovered that the drawings in the "Aircraft of the Fighting Powers" series are troublesome to scan because many are large fold-outs. That combined with handling fragile paper and the difficulty in stitching the scans together makes for an arduous task.

Peter

Thanks Will,

That must of been a lot of work. Well done.

Peter