• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

solid modelling in industry 54 years ago

Started by Will, October 15, 2010, 12:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Chaps,

I found this film / movie last night while googling, which may be of interest.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=70

It should be a British Pathe newsreel called "Model Aircraft for Testing Use".  Hoepfully its available to those of you outside the UK.

There's a lovely wooden Sea Hawk and a metal Hunter being worked on.  It says its at the Armstrong Whitworth works so presumably they'd been subsumed into the Hawker empire by '56 or were subcontracting for them.

I doubt i'll ever be able to model to an accuracy of 1/10 of a thousandth of an inch!!!  Though the wind tunnel (shed???) and airflow testing seem a bit basic to worry about the modelling accuracy.

regards
Will Booth

lastvautour

Nice movie, but as you mentioned, not exactly state of the art even for those days. I was privileged to refurbish a 1/14 scale Tutor that was used in wind tunnel test at the Nationa Research Council facility in Ottawa. I found that the overall dimension were very exact, however the contours of the intakes and the canopy were poorly shaped. I never did find out what the project was for, but the model was assess at $18,000.00 CDN in 1985. The model was transferred to my section and onced I had fixed some cracks and repainted it, we hung from the ceiling until the department moved and the building torn down. I have no clue as to where it may be today. I thought I had uploaded the picture taken in 1986, alas I cannot find it. I will look again and repost.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Neat site, too.  There are lots of neat videos there.

Garet

lastvautour

Found the photo of me and the NRC model.

It was around this time that I started doing solids again.

Lou