• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The invention of 1/72 Scale

Started by Will, February 17, 2010, 01:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Since I'm reading Stevens 1933 book, I thought you guys would like the original version of how 1/72 scale came about for solid modelling planes:

"Before going on to the actual instructions, I might say a word here about the choice of scales.  I myself started making model aeroplanes when I was 12 years old [I make that around 1926/7 – WB], and I then chose a uniform scale of one thirty-sixth, so that my models would be APPROXIMATELY   [my capitals – WB] the suitable size for the lead soldiers of which I had a vast collection.  Having once started this scale, I found it a very convenient one, as, if I felt like putting in wires and other details, this was fairly easy to do; if, on the other hand, I wished to omit them, they were not missed.
"A year or so ago, I found that while there were still many machines (and more coming every day) which I wished to make, my collection was taking up more space than conveniently could be spared.  Something had to be done, so I tried halving the scale (i.e., one seventy-second), and the result was more than satisfactory.  The models seemed to acquire additional charm the smaller they were, and they took up less than a quarter of the space."
- pp vii-viii, Stevens, James Hay; John Hamilton Ltd, London 1933

I don't believe, as I have read elsewhere on the web, that Stevens made a mistake in sizing his planes at 1/36 instead of the 1/32 of "Britains" etc lead soldiers (also the period scale for Gauge 1 trains). Even at 12, on his way to becoming a competent draughtsman, I believe he would have been aware of the difference in scale, rather I suspect he used a known aeromodelling scale which logically fits in to the ½" or ¼" to the foot scales (1/24 & 1/48) and was close enough to relate to the figures – hence the word "approximately" in the quote above.  Halving 1/36 to 1/72 is very sensible given that he was working in imperial measurements.

On the other hand I have yet to see a ruler marked in 1/3 or 1/6 inch increments, though my old boxwood architectural rule covers 3", 1½ ", 1", ¾", ½", 3/8", ¼"& 1/8" to the foot scales (1:4, 1:8, 1:12, 1:16, 1:24, 1:32, 1:48 & 1:96 respectively).

The big question is did he invent 1/36 scale for planes? – and then why did it drop out of favour for 1/32?  The publishers of Stevens' book sold blueprints of the plans contained separately at 1/36 so I presume other aeromodellers were already comfortable with that scale by 1933.

Will

Oceaneer99

Will,

That's a very interesting discussion of scales.  I was looking at my Engineers and Architects scales a few weeks ago, trying to figure out which models scales were covered.

In some of my 1933 issues of "Cleveland Modelmaking News & Practical Hobbies", they talk about controversy regarding their "new" 1/8-inch scale (1/96) airplane plans.  They say that they were going to 3/16-inch scale (1/64) in Vol 1, No. 7.  It is interesting that the 1/64 scale is half that of the 1/32 figure scale.

Even though these publications are from opposite sides of the pond, it appears that standard airplane scales were just beginning in the 1930s.

Garet

Balsabasher

James Hay Stevens certainly made 1=72nd scale popular by choice,besides his work for 'Givejoy' which later became the famous 'Skybirds' he did the monthly plans for 'Air Stories' magazine,this was a period pulp mag produced in the UK,these were also 1=72nd except the HP 0/400 Bomber which was reduced to 1=144th to scale up if you wished.
I would think that 1=36th scale became popular in America with companies such as Megow producing excellent solid kits to this scale.
I have all of those Air Stories plans complete with instructions as well and will scan them here when I get a moment to do so.
Barry.

Will

Barry,
Perhaps James Hay Stevens would have left School by the time he started designing for Skybirds.  He would have been 18 when, to quote a 1940's Skybirds Ad:
"The very first series of 1/72 scale solid non-flying aeronautical models; introduced to modellers in 1932."

At 18 he would surely have achieved his Schools Certificate and be apprenticed to become an aeronautical engineer.  Presumably Stevens was from a "comfortable" background as I can't imagine he would have had the money just from Skybirds designing to learn to fly in 1934 ("Mr. Stevens, the designer of " Skybirds " model aeroplanes, has made excellent progress, for, although having had only one hour's instruction so far, he is already learning landings and take offs." - Flight p384 19 Apr 1934).  His work for Halliday's Givjoy company would be as a sideline?

By the way searching the Skybirds ads on the Flight online archive
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html
shows they made a great hangar / aerodrome / storage box (Flight pxiii 12 Oct 1933) - ideal for Lou (Lastvautour)?

Regards
Will

Balsabasher

A very good point Will,yes it does convey that he was not struggling financially like many were even back then,some of his last articles appeared in the 'Air Reserve Gazette' and early issues of 'Air Pictorial' magazine,even at this late stage of his life you can detect the similarity to those original Skybird drawings,I also have two books he wrote with plans in them,one called 'Scale Model Aircraft' features some excellent basic drawings,my dog eared copy was purchased for 50p from a jumble sale ! what a classic.
His pen and ink drawings were a delight,back then there were very few photographic facilities so designers relied on good drawing ability,but dont you think that it is things like this that add to the character ? I could quite easily keep myself happy by building 'period' replicas of these models,but that is a joy that we appreciate,wood is wood and progress has not changed its qualities,it is what we choose to create in our very own small way from it,and what better way than to build from these old plans ? this is a great group to talk about these things.
Barry.

Oceaneer99

I've certainly learned a lot by building "period replicas".  For instance, I built the WW I British tank from Craftokit plans using new balsa.  The plans had features such as printed treads that you glued around the balsa, which was printed with outlines and rivet patterns (I used an iron to transfer a laser printed pattern onto the balsa).  After it was assembled, you were supposed to give it a wash of green paint so that the printing could show through.  These were early solid kits, and each designer had their own ideas of how to handle construction, so it is interesting to try out the different techniques.

Garet