• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Hammond Y

Started by Boomerang, November 06, 2009, 10:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.
I thought it better to open up a topic General discussion rather than clog the ping.

You are right there isn't an awful lot around on the Y but a bit on the YS-1
I've got a copy of the October 1935 Model Airplane News which has a plan of it.
It is the single fin Y model. The YS-1 had the twin fins .

The plan does show a colour demarcation line on the rudder.
The one photo in the mag is a frontal shot which does show a "Y" shaped stripe  under the windscreen and then down the centreline.However, the build article says"choose your colours).

I've found two pics on the internet which indicate the colour change on the fin/rudder.

There is an MAP news issue around with the Hammond on the front. Whether its artistic license or what I don't know but it was illustrated as Red(I think).

Just looks a bit different.

Cheers

Gordon

dave_t

Here are a few related items...

Boomerang

Dave,

Thanks for the drawings.

I've modified the Fin/rudder outline on the MAN drawings. Its egg shaped but the drawings and photos show it with a bit of a straight edge. Kit of parts cut out and put in the waiting time and space box
The MAN drawings show a colour demarcation lines- so whoever drew it must have had access to it or some long lost photos.
There are some pics around on the internet that show "15151" which has a dark colour (possibly black ) on the fin/rudder. The elevators are drooped but there appears to be a tonal difference to rest of the airframe. Sooooo based on that I'm going to go with red/vermillion and black and the white "15151" on the rudder.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Gordon

dave_t

I have read about vintage Model Airplane News drawings before. Where does one find them? Are there reprints out there somewhere?

I just looked, my library has M.A.N. magazine from January 1941 (v.24) to present

Boomerang

Dave,
I started poking around on ebay. Have picked up a few. Mostly the "early " ones or the ones with "good " drawings.

You have a library of them from 1941?

What i'll do when I get home next is see if the scanner still works and put up what i've got on the Hammond.

Cheers

dave_t

The public library in my town has MAN from 1941 to present, I'll have to take a look at them. Being wartime, the theme will probably lean towards warbirds in those early volumes. Did Model Airplane News offer one solid plan per issue or were they just occasional? I always thought of it more as a power-flight magazine.

Yes, scan a few! I would love to see what they're like. Was Wylam one of their artists?

Dave

Boomerang

Dave,

From what I can work out what ever is on the cover art will have a plan either gas/rubber or solid in it.
This appears to be the case for the '40s 50's". Eg There's one with a P61 on the cover which has detailed 3 view inside ( can't remember the year). I just had delivered the June '35 issue which has Grumman FF-1 as the art work, detailed 3 view of Bristol fighter and a 3 view of Burnelli UB-14 which I was after. Haven't seen it yet . Its at home and I'm away with work.

You have to take pot luck with a few of them.

Wylam did quite a bit apparently and there are several of his books around that come up occassionally on ebay. Your library might have a copy or be able to do some sort of inter library loan.In one of the issues i've got it has Wylam 3 view for the Curtis YP- 23. It looks OK but.. Later he does a detailed one (I've got that in an AIR CLASSICS).
There was also a guy called NYE.

Speaking of libraries. My home is in Canberra and THE National library is there. Found lots of good stuff. They had one of wylam's books in the catalogue BUT alas and alac they couldn't find it. A search has been launched apparently.

So when I get Home I'll  scan some and you see what I mean.

Cheers

dave_t

Gordon,
       I also got hooked on solid modeling after discovering Kenny's site and eventually found SMM through his links page.

I was looking at more 1940s Model Airplane News magazines and saw photos of many solid models sent in by readers, mostly teens and servicemen. It was amazing how small some of the models were and very detailed.