• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Macchi M5 Commenced 26th DEC 2016

Started by Boomerang, January 08, 2017, 01:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

This will take a bit longer to finish.

Wings are from Basswood and have been soaked in hot water and put on a former ( Scotch Bottle tube) to get the undercamber.
  Tail plane from 3 ply. Simulated ribs using stretched/doped cotton thread with a few coats of THIN surface primer.

Fuselage is  two halves of 19mm balsa held together at the ends by a couple of wood screws.Inside surfaces done using RED acrylic paint to provide a centre line.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I am looking forward to your progress. I have not seen this aircraft before now.

Lou

Boomerang

A bit more work done on fuselage. I'm not going to split it till I've worked out all the struttery attachment points and also the lower wing attachment.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

I've split the fuselage and started to add a cockpit.

Have made the seat out of 1/64 ply. The instrument panel is also from 1/64 ply.

Wings have been done using the stretched doped cotton thread method.

Next come the engine.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Great to date. What size thread are you using?

Lou

Boomerang

I appropriated it from the Imperial sewing basket.

It is polyester ( didn't realise that till I looked at it just now.)
Has Coates Drima Y161 on reel. Search on net doesn't yield much .

It's about 1/2 mm or slightly smaller in diameter.

Gordon

lastvautour

In Canada thread is rated by wt and size numbers.  A common 50wt thread is about the size I have used on smaller models and the greater the weight the larger the thread while when using size the larger the number the finer the thread. I just get mine from the misses sewing basket.

Lou

Boomerang

That's the Imperial Sewing Basket . The current spool should last a while.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Some progress.

Cockpit is complete.

The first picture shows fuselage held together with tape. Still have to add port hole glass and make up a head rest and windshield.

The next one shows top wing with paint applied. The bottom wing is an experiment with shading for the rib tapes etc..,

The curly bits of wire are the MG cables.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Some progress.

Fuselage has been joined. Fin/ rudder are notched into tailplane .

Wheels are for the beaching dolly.

Gordon

buccfan

Looking great Gordon, what glue do you use for joining balsa?, when I was a lad many moons ago we used balsa cement in small tubes similar to the Airfix poly cement. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Thank you Paul.

I used a wood glue called tight bond over here. I still have a few unopened tubes of balsa cement.

Cheers
Gordon