• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

F18 Toon.

Started by buccfan, May 19, 2013, 08:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buccfan

I have made a very small start on this build and I'll post some pics when I get something to show. Regards Paul J.

buccfan

A bit more progress today, I have shaped the engine fillet piece except for in way of the exhausts as I have to make them yet. I have also shaped the air intakes and tapered them in, the wing attachment areas have been tapered and the twist shaped into the wings. Regards Paul.

lastvautour

Looking good Paul.

Lou

buccfan

A bit more progress to report,nose,cockpit and fusilage shaped. Wing glued on. Lerx angled to fit and match the wing and tailfins and elevators shaped and contoured. Tailfins just sat on for the pics. A bit of advice needed about sanding sealer. I have not used any on my previous models but the ones I 've found seem to be a shelac spirit based type, but I need to put acrylic primer and paint over it. Can anyone suggest a particular brand available in the UK?. Best regards Paul J.

Will

A bit of advice needed about sanding sealer. I have not used any on my previous models but the ones I 've found seem to be a shelac spirit based type, but I need to put acrylic primer and paint over it. Can anyone suggest a particular brand available in the UK?. Best regards Paul J.

Paul,

so far I've only used model aircraft type cellulose based sanding sealer.  As its for model planes its expensive, and you need cellulose for clean up (and the smell!!!).

I found but haven't yet tried Liberon Spirit Sanding Sealer http://www.liberon.co.uk/repair-and-prepare/spirit-sanding-sealer,434,464.html?&args=Y29tcF9pZD0zMDQmYWN0aW9uPWZpY2hlUHJvZHVpdCZpZD0zMjImfA%3D%3D which is available from Amazon and various wood and tool shops in the UK.  Cleans up with meths.
I also found an acrylic one called Chestnut http://chestnutproducts.co.uk/results.php?cat=sanding%20sealers.  I assume its water cleanup but again availability seems ok-ish.
Both these are more economical than the model plane type.  I think they're meant for wood-turning and fine joinery so whether they have talc to fill balsa grain is a question...

Airfix(!) Revell and Humbrol enamels as well as Revell and Tamiya acrylics worked fine for me over the cellulose sealer, including enamel over acrylic and vice versa.  The spirit and acrylic types would need experiment.

regards
Will (Hants UK)

lastvautour

Looks very promising. You have the knack for AirToons.

Lou

buccfan

Thanks for the info Will, I will have to do a bit of research/ experiment with the spirit and acrylic options, as I don't really fancy the cellulose option because of the smell as you say. I will let you know the results.
Thanks for the comments Lou, I certainly enjoy making them, who knows I may try a scale model one day. Best regards Paul J.

lastvautour

It is not much of a leap to go from AirToon to Airplane.

Lou

buccfan

I have managed a bit of progress in between other jobs, so I am now ready for some primer. I have not checked out the acrylic sanding sealer yet so it will be a hairy stick coat followed by some sanding then a rattle can coat. The horizontal stabs are only loose on pins at the moment and will be fitted after painting. Here's a couple of pics to show where I am now. Best regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Your F-18 looks great Paul. I like the different colours of the wood on the second photo and how they set off the individual pieces. She is a beauty. Puts me in the mood for another AirToon but I have so little bench space left.

Lou

buccfan

Thank Lou glad you like it, on the subject of different coloured woods in picture 2, if you look at the dark circle underneath between the boundary doors, that was where I drilled for the stand, but because of the grain it didn't end up where it should. So to avoid another disaster I decided on the tailpipe mount. The amount of bench space coupled with hours in a day I think could be the problem!!!. Best regards Paul J.   PS Our plans are doing well for views in the gallery, I wonder if anyone has used them????

buccfan

Managed to squeeze in a bit of painting, varnished as well ready for some decals. I still have all the armaments and tailhook to make yet, but they are coming on. Apologies for the picture background as my battery was on low and that was the only place with any decent light as it's very cloudy today.

lastvautour

Looks great Paul. The wires up the exhaust makes a nice display.

Lou

buccfan

Thanks Lou, they are actually bamboo skewers, but were just what I wanted for mounting the model and are stiff enough for support, and you get a lot in a bag for not much cash. I thought I would mount it in that position to show off the weapons, and it will fit better inbetween other models in my cabinet. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

I have been using them for quite a while myself and they spit nicely. Great minds think alike???

Lou