• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Airco DH 5 Stárted July 2012 Completed 26 June 2015

Started by Boomerang, May 23, 2014, 05:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Couple of days off with a lot of rain around.
  Inspired by Lou's rotary I've spent some time on mine.
  Manifolds from copper wire. Rocker(?) arms from thin gauge wire with small lengths of isulation added.
  Spark plugs from small bits of insulation slipped over thin wire from multi core flex.
  These will be fitted when I've added the take up at the rear .
  The engine for the DH 5 was a le Rhone 110 HP 9J - All the "wobbly" bits are at the rear.

Picture to follow

Cheers
   Gordon

Boomerang

Engine is completed except for a bit of touching up here and there.The picture is off the rear. I can't get a "good" picture of 
  the front. I'll try to get better one later.

Most of the engine will be  hidden by the cowl . Still it was good fun to put it together.
  Working on simulating the laminations on the propeller.

The Lysander sneaking into the picture is 1/144th and will be the tug for the "Hotspur".

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Very nice looking engine as well as the Lysander. I found that items like the engine are always hard to photograph. Try taking a shot further away but with max size. Enlarge the engine portion in a MS Word doc and do a crop, copy and paste to MS Paint. That sometimes works for me. Again, nice work.

Lou

Boomerang

Thanks Lou
I'll try your suggestions.
The Lysander gets some work done to it when time and other commitments permit.
Gordon

Biggles

How about cutting the cowl of and putting a nail through it into the engine and prop? Maybe?  :-\
John 15:13

Boomerang

Overcome the Camera problem.

Couple of pictures of the engine.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Beautiful work. Your turned out very realistic.

Lou

Boomerang

Some work done with the cockpit area. Interior cockpit wood work done using .4mm ply .  A light wash of red and a splash
   clear. All I have to do is get it to slot in from the bottom.
   Wicker seat and instrument panel are still in the formative stage ( still wizzing around in my head).

I'll stick a pic up later.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Just need to cut the slot for the Vickers. Clean up the cockpit. finish the cockpit interior.
  This will leave the head rest to be done. Depends on which picture you look at there is either a pad on the front or not.

Cheers
   Gordon

Boomerang

Wicker seat has been done using some earthing strap mesh that I picked up and hoarded years ago.
  Propeller painted . Cowling separated from fuselage and thinned down on the inside with a rotary tool to allow clearance for
  engine.
  Pic to follow

lastvautour

Boomerang

Best way to describe it is fine woven copper. Used to earth equipment racks etc . It looks like fine fly screen .       
  I'll put a picture in next time I'm home. I picked it up years ago with the thought that it would make good radiator screens.
  I nearly drove myself insane trying to weave the seat. From 3 feet away it looks OK ( Not bad for first attempt)

Gordon

Boomerang

A picture is worth a thousand words.

The first one ( taken with phone camera and not the best shows the basic seat frame on a base of basswood.
I left the base big so I could handle it a bit better. When finished I trimmed it up.
You can just make out the attempt to "weave" fine copper wire through it.

The second and third show the seat with the fine copper mesh. ( if you search fine copper mesh on internet you will
come up with some proprietary options)

The last couple show the completed propeller. Basically a couple of laminations of Basswood. I gave up trying to
mask  the number of laminations. Done free hand and then rubbed over with a combination raw sienna, Burnt sienna
and lastly Burnt Umber. Tips are grey primer. Two coats of clear finish it off. The seat painted. A bit more work on the
homemade Vickers and the cowling separated and hollowed out using a rotary tool.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

had to split things up ( file size)

lastvautour

"Earthing"  is called "Grounding" in my part of the world and I now fully understand earthing mesh and have worked with it during my career. I envy your propeller making skills and your earthing mesh sure looks great.

Lou