• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

SMM 14th Anniversary X-Plane Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, April 11, 2015, 10:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

At Ray's suggestion, an X-Plane Cook-Up is called. I have selected the X-15 and Paul chose the X-3. So bring on those pioneering planes and let the chips fly.

Lou

Will

Apart from the Bell X-1 to Grumman X-29, what else counts as X-planes?  Other countries experimental types? Prototypes like XP-40 or other or just purely experimental?  Types never actually built?  I'd like to join in but wondering about choices...
Will

lastvautour

I think just types that had no intentions of being an operational aircraft but purely for research purposes (my opinion only). I will leave to Ray to decide what belongs and if other countries may be included. Here are link to American X-Planes as other countries do not use the X-designation.

Lou

Military Factory             http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/us-xplane-aircraft.asp
Wikipedia USA              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X-planes
Wikipedia Other            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_experimental_aircraft

Lou

lastvautour

Pete already has three X-Planes to his credit.

X-3

X-5

X-29

lastvautour

X-15 three views have been scale and printed. A close look at photos show on tricky blending of the three fuselage section. The center section is mostly circular with additional triangular sides. The joint between parts is not a smooth as I had envisaged it to be.

North American X-15 3-view" by NASA - U. S. Air Force official web site. Licensed under Public Domain.

R.F.Bennett

Any country, any time, has to have flown more than once, built just for research, not production. Prototypes for production planes would be a build of it's own.
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Thank you Ray for the clarification. So come on guys, please commit to the group build. Some of those research designs have pretty simple lines in smaller scales.

1/48 scale drawings for the X-15 have been redone in 1/72 scale and glued to cardboard for use as templates. The 1/48 scale version requires laminating my existing stock of wood, so 1/72 it is.

Lou

Boomerang

I put my hand up for the X-3 . Had a close look at the third link above and have several plans.
Decisions, decisions decisions .

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

lastvautour

X-15 has a few cuts  here and there.

Lou

lastvautour

Some progress has been made on the X-15. There are some weird angular shapes to be cut so taking my time is of the essence.

Lou

lastvautour

Wings and fuselage are rough sanded. Preparing to cut the fuselage to fit the wings. Canopy has been glued but is a bit oversize, so some delicate sanding will have to be done to bring it in line with 1/72 scale.

Lou

lastvautour

Puttied, sanded and first visit to the paint shop.

Lou

lastvautour

My X-15 is ready for launch. Decals are a mixture of home made and aftermarket.

Lou

Boomerang

Lou,

Great work as usual.

I have cut some wood for but I'll post something when it gets a bit more advanced.
  Also pondering something "small" which sholudn't take long to put together.
  cheers

Gordon