• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Joe's Update

Started by lastvautour, August 29, 2020, 01:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Joe has not forgotten us and I hope he will return soon. Here is his email.

Hello, Lou,

Thanks for the note. I took a break from model building for a while, but have started up again.

When I started again, I dug up the five Monogram balsa-based warship kits (first marketed in 1946) I've had for ages. So far, I've built the Battleship USS Missouri, the Aircraft Carrier USS Shangri-La, and the L.S.T. 608. I'm probably going to work on the Destroyer USS Hobby next.

Lou for Joe

lastvautour

Here is Joe's excellent LST.

Lou

Gearup

They all look nicely done. Thanks.
Fraser

lastvautour

Further update from Joe:
Hi, again,

Last year I found the hull of the StromBecKer USS Brooklyn, one of the rarest StromBecKer models. Fortunately, I had a set of plans, and was able to repo all the missing parts.

Best,

Joe

Lou for Joe

Gearup

Interesting to see the early construction with the bare wood superstructure. What is the length of the model?
Fraser

lastvautour

Additional photos on Joe's 1/600 Hellcats

Lou for Joe

lastvautour

The photo attachment process is giving me grief.

Lou for Joe

lastvautour

1/600 is small!

Lou for Joe

Jim

Wow! I would love to see the full plans for all those Monogram warship models! There's a few  partial plan sets on this site, but they're all incomplete — such as missing images of the printwood, etc. Without those missing images, we really can't build these great models.
And so it goes...

Joe

Hi,

This is the answer to Fraser's question about the length of the StromBecKer USS Brooklyn model: it is 18" long; ca 1:400 scale.

Boomerang

Impressive !  I might try a boat /ship sometime in the future.

Gordon