• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WW 2 Japanese Ooka (Ohka) Rocket-Powered Kamikaze

Started by Joe, February 02, 2010, 05:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Gents,

This is my first scratch-built model since the early 50's and I decided to be easy on myself.  Hence, this rather simple model of a rocket that served a heinous purpose toward the end of WW 2, Japanese suicide attacks on American Naval Forces. 

My model is based a set of plans created by Northern Aircraft Company for a solid model they marketed (Photo of box attached). Most of the photos I have of Ooka show the tail of the fuselage extending past the rear stabilizer assembly.  However, there is a Model 11 in the posession of the RAF Museum in Cosford that appears to be this shorter fuselage version (Photo attached). 

I made the fuselage from a piece of ash and the rest of the model from white pine.  The wings are attached to the fuselage with morters and tenons.  I need to do a bit more sanding before I start the next stage, sanding sealer. 

Perhaps a word in regard to the spelling of Ooka is in order.  There are two different systems for romanizing Japanese and I included both versions of Ooka/Ohka in the title of this note.  Both methods attempt to symbolize a longer held sound for "o"--basically it sounds like the English "long o", but the lasts longer.  Specifically, it does not sound like "o" in the word, "soon".  And that is my final linguistics lecture for the year!

Regards,

Joe

Balsabasher

Joe this makes a great solid subject despite its relative simplicity,I had no idea that anyone had done a solid kit of it in the past ? if the plans are scanable then why not place them into the archive as I for one would certainly like to build an example.
Complex models are not always the way to go especially with solids,keep them simple is my motto,well finished they can still look most attractive subjects,well done you !
Barry.

lastvautour

Excellent work for a first project. The simplicity is a great bonus, but your skills shine through. Congratulation on a great start.

Lou

Joe

Gents,

Thanks, again, for the words of encouragement!   Barry, I will post the plans as requested. 

Joe

Joe

Gents,

The Ooka plans I used are now posted in the Gallery.  They are somewhat different than those previosly posted by Marsh. 

There were numerous versions of the Ooka, but as far as I can tell the only type that was ever launched in anger was the Type 11.  I have not been able to locate enough detailed information to determine whether Marsh's version or the one I posted is the more accurate depiction of Type 11.

Regards,

Joe

Paul

Hi Joe, nice model so far.  I recently finished reading "Blossoms in the Wind, Human Legacies of the Kamikaze" by M.G. Sheftall.  It's a good book and is based on modern interviews of surviving members of Kamikaze squadrons (there are a lot more than you would expect) and reflects how they felt about their war experiences at the time and their opinions now.  In the book there are references to trainer versions of the plane and that they were painted orange so that officers on the ground could assess the practice dives.  I noticed that one of the plans has wing-tip skids-a feature you would expect on a trainer rather than an operational bomb.  So you have some finish options other than grey.

Oceaneer99

Joe,

Thank you for posting the Ohka plans!

Gyareto-san

lastvautour

Anything new Joe? We have not heard from you in a while.

Lou