• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Please sir, what's a cook-up?

Started by Mothman, September 13, 2011, 09:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mothman

As above really. I've heard of group builds, but what exactly is a cook-up?
And what are the rules thereof?

M

Balsabasher

Basiclly a 'Cook-up' as we call it is a particular project that say includes a certain type of aircraft,or from a certain period of aviation,or a subject that specifies a particular use,ie our recent Long distance flight cookup,it only takes two of us to start a cook-up and then there is no set limit on time,in fact it is ongoing,you will notice that there are several cookups still in progress where solid modellers build their very own model and along the way photograph the progress,there are no rules or prizes,it is done to learn from each other and in the spirit of participation.
I hope that explains in a nutshell what a cook-up is all about.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

Cookups never expire or finish, so if you see one that hasn't been touched in years, it is still available to post models in.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

I rather like this they never end approach,then you can work on something when you like and have no time worries.
Barry.

Mothman

Sounds like a nice loose idea.
If I had time I'd join in with a Percival Gull or maybe the DH88.  My American patron wants a DH88 Comet in 1/48th after the Dragon Rapide model.  I guess Mildenhall to Melbourne (was it?) counts as long distance.

Martin

Balsabasher

Yes they certainly do count,even your DH.89A Rapide has made some remarkable flights in its time.

Barry.

Ivanhoe76

Quote from: Mothman on September 13, 2011, 09:44:38 PM
Sounds like a nice loose idea.
If I had time I'd join in with a Percival Gull or maybe the DH88.  My American patron wants a DH88 Comet in 1/48th after the Dragon Rapide model.  I guess Mildenhall to Melbourne (was it?) counts as long distance.

Martin

Martin, please stop coming up with more things I want to build! Life's too short as it is to build all the plans I want to, and you come up with the Mew Gull which is another!

Wilf

Mothman

My local chum who builds flying models is nearing the end of a long build on the Mew Gull, a six footer.
Nice.  It's getting a lovely Saito four stroke.
There were several distinct versions, too, so lots of Percivalia possible there, Wilf!

Martin

Mothman

I suppose you could also have a Cock-Up thread.  Show your worst models ever and give reasons why they didn't work as models??

Cheers,
Martin

lastvautour

Mothman

Come on then, Lou, let's see 'em!!

Martin

lastvautour

Bigger projects get recycled.

Lou

Mothman

They don't look like cock-ups to me, Lou!

Martin

lastvautour

They are trash. Some were wrongly sized drawings found on very repectable sites, others just did not work out.

Lou

Balsabasher

I can spot a Savage,a Waco biplane,a tracker,6x Banshee's but what is the high wing twin balsa jobbie ?
Barry.