• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Intermediate- Supermarine Spitfire - Where should I start? part II

Started by lastvautour, November 12, 2010, 05:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Here we will go a bit further and make an ID + model of the Spitfire in 1/72 scale. I upgraded the Mk 1A to a MK VB using a few scraps and a round toothpick. The differences are more of going to a B type wing rather than a new airframe. The Mk V were Mk I and IIs airframes re-engined and given the latest updates.
The B wing had two 20mm cannons and four .303 cal machine guns. The cannons are round toothpicks tapered and the cannon breech blisters are teardrop shaped 1/16 inch wood. The edge of the blisters were beveled and glued in place followed by lightly sanding with a high grit sandpaper. The hardest part to upgrading was the bubble canopy. The Spitfire in the plan should have had the bubble canopy, but I assume the plan designer figured this may be too tough on novice carvers. The sides of the canopy were flattened using a sharp blade and a bit of sanding. I tried not to disturb the fuselage not the front windscreen while doing this. Now carfully round off the corners until you have a small bubble. Sand/putty/sand/prime/sand until you are satisfied with the finish.

lastvautour

I first painted the entire model "S" Type Sky. Once dry, masking covered the bottom and the rear fuselage band. Tamiya tape or masking tape can be used, BUT, masking tape will need to be dulled by placing in your palm to reduce the stickyness. I used the template fround on line for the brown/green camouflage.  Please note that the top and side views disagree. I used Krylon Ultra Flat dark green over the entire model. I cut out masking tape on a piece of glass and then applied it to the area on the model I wated to stay green and sprayed dark earth using my Aztec spary brush. Once dry I marked off the canopy lines using drawings found on line and painted the glass areas black. I may still add some gloss to them later. Add the guns and you are done.

lastvautour

Markings are a personal choice. I prefer to make my own using Testor Decal film. You may choose not to apply any, or use some from a plastic kit of buy some aftermarket decals. I chose RCAF 412 Squadron circa 1941. The photo i used has VZ-S but I found that I could not cut out the S so a T was substituted. All was printed on white decal film and carefully cut out. I found that if you just wet the back sided of the decal film, things come out tremendously better. The Roundels and fin flashes are built up using MS Word program drawing tools and the letters are RCAF Font using MS Art tools. I made a set some time ago and keep resizing for each project. I found the ratios of colours on line and can look for them again if anyone wants them.

lastvautour

The prop spinner is from a doughnut container from my local grocery store. I hope I did not skip too much in this last section. I sort of got carried away while painting and did not take any photos. If I missed something, let me know.

Peter, I enjoyed this build and hope you will have as much fun with it.

Lou