• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Next Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, January 12, 2008, 03:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I suggest a flying boat cook up.  Flying boats must have a hull. For example a Cessna/Piper  on floats would not qualify.  Many of Dave's links have subjects suitable for use.

davetunison

lastvautour

Thanks Dave. I had trouble finding that one also. I am leaning toward a small flying boat if the macchi M33 qualifies. More on this later. I hope we get more responses to other suggestions.

davetunison

Good idea. The "Wings of Peace" yahoo group is also doing a flying boat/float plane contest although they are mostly plastic modelers and their specialty is non-military between-the-wars subjects(your choice fits in perfectly). I lasted about one month in that group, it's very active, about 60+ emails a day, but too many are off topic or of no interest to me. A board like this or secretprojects.co.uk is so much better in format. I enjoy the secret projects site because they keep a strong focus and bring in materials not previously found on the internet. Several of the contributors seem to know a lot about the subject of experimental aircraft.

R.F.Bennett

A cook-up has been nominated and approved (It only takes two builders) and they never end. Please move this specific Cook-up to it's own board. Let the chips fly Gents  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

Quote from: lastvautour on November 28, 2008, 02:25:11 AM
Anybody else interested in making a spotter plane group cook-up?  I assume that even the OV-10 would qualify. L4 or L5s?????????

Lou

Quote from: spider web on November 28, 2008, 05:00:35 PM
I'm in if you'll tell me what the OV-10 and other birds you're speaking of look like.

F.Y.I. I found a listing of the US Naval Aircraft Paint Jobs at www.aerofiles.com/USNcolors.html
I also found sample paint swatches on another website but misplaced my note.

What is the time limit on doing a cook up?

I look forward to a little challenge.

Jim

Lou, Please verify, "Spotter" as in an "ID" Model or as in "Observation plane"
"The Dude Abides"

R.F.Bennett

A cook-up has been nominated and approved (It only takes two builders) and they never end. Please move this specific Cook-up to it's own board. Let the chips fly Gents  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

lastvautour

Thanks to Dave, I have the urge to design make a futuristic wooden vehicle. Something around 1/24 scale to fit my diecast and plastic collection. 1/18 would also be acceptable or even 1/43 scale. Any takers on a group build. Completion of initial design by months end and contruction sometime within this century???
Dave has already provided us with a tutorial for those faint of heart in these matters.

Lou

dave_t

Maybe try using wheels from a kit (dare I say plastic). I've had a heck of a time carving circular shapes that don't look wobbly. Someone suggested turning them on a lathe.

lastvautour

I have a box of 1/24 scale wheels here somewhre. I did a few cars/truck models sometime ago. Are you in for a futuristic look at say 2050 vehicles?
Lou

dave_t

2050 huh? We may not need wheels then.

Okay, I probably won't be around to find out how close my prediction is/was. :'(

cliff strachan

I tried,  and I think with some success, to carve wheels starting by cutting off a portion of a dowel then rounding and painting in where required. (The wheels on my P61 were done that way.)
Cliff.

dave_t

Cliff, are the gear removable? Your photos show alternate versions.

lastvautour

OK, I will be there in 2050 and will be a young at heart 102 centenarian. Of course 2025 may be a better setting for our cause.

Lou

cliff strachan

Yes, Dave. The gear is removable. I try to build the models so that they may be photographed "in the air" and later I put the landing gear on permanently so as to photograph them "in front of the hangar".
Cliff.