• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Plans for 2014

Started by Pete1616, January 26, 2014, 01:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete1616

Rather than a new years resolution, I've created a plan to carve one model each month. As usual I get my plans from the "virtual aircraft museum" and enlarge using a proportional scale.

Here's my list:
Boeing YC 14
McDonnell XP67 Moonbat
North American F107A
Supermarine Stranraer (replacement)
Beriev BE4
Nord 2200
Grumman XP50
Saab 35 Draaken
Saab 32 Laarsen
If I can figure out "swing wings" I have a F111 and a B1 bomber ready to go......Ideas appreciated!.......Pete
Pete1616

Balsabasher

Interesting list Pete,I think with swing wings you have to decide whether to build in either 'wings extended' or 'wings closed' but in my mind the aircraft always looks better with wings fully out,its a personal choice this.
Barry.

Biggles

Gday Pete,
On Lou's advice I'm wondering how you make your fillet's - I make a lot of un painted models but have never herd of a easy way to make them. :)
All the best, Biggles
John 15:13

Pete1616

G'day, Biggles I'm not sure what you mean by fillets.....I enlarge the plan I have using a proportional scale to correspond to the wood I have available, I then trace the pattern onto a semi transparent sheet of plastics sheets for making patterns from a quilting shop. Then I cut out the pattern, draw it onto the wood I plan on using, and turn to the bandsaw. I like to carve most models to between 8 and 10 inches long fuselage. Everything else just follows on.

I assume you're from OZ... I have the book "no blunder down under" sent to me by Aussie friends, but no mention of fillets! (other than fish)....Good on with your endeavours, there are very few of us that appreciate the grain and beauty of quality wood.
Cheers, Pete
Pete1616

Biggles

thanks Pete, see the photo to get what I meen by "fillit".
biggles.

Pete1616

Ok, I now know what a filet is!....When I cut out a blank I always leave a stub so I can blend the wing into the fuselage. I once was a songbird carver, so have three flex shaft machines and lots of tips. Usually I use a foredom with a 1/4" shaft,, although I have two dremels, 1/8{ and 1/16" chuck....I'm too lazy to change chucks! anyway, this makes the blending much easier. When I attach the wing, I nip the head off a finishing nail, drill a small hole in the stub, mark the spot on the wing...another hole, and use "gorilla glue" the kind with the blue label (the orange label sort expands.)

Hand sanding is minimal, but if you can purchase a "sanding mop" it makes sanding and "de-fuzing" much easier. I can give you an idea of how to make one if you wish......Good luck,.....Pete
Pete1616

Balsabasher

Thats a useful tip Pete,I often use those oval nails to fix wings into place,I never realised there were two versions of Gorilla glue,its certainly an excellent product.
Barry.

Biggles

thanks very much Pete! perhaps some photos would help me under stand?
Biggles