• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The hobby on SMM - As we see it!

Started by lastvautour, October 08, 2011, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The following comments were copied from another thread and are of interest.

Lou

Hi Cliff,

I'm equally impressed by both the levels of model building. I'm in awe and inspired by the level of sophistication and detail some members can produce. Not to mention the speed at which they can complete projects!! But I think the amateurish side of the hobby is where the heart and soul of this hobby lies. Since the 1920's boys (and the occasional girl) have picked up a hunk of wood and a pocket knife or bought a kit and created their own masterpiece. I think that tradition lives on today in every amateur who joins this group today. No matter what level members are at, it's all equally important to the survival of the solid model hobby. I not just saying that because I'm very amateurish either

Peter

In response Cliff answered

Hi Peter.

Your most interesting comments seem to reinforce the idea that I had in mind. You recognize what seems to be evolving in solid scale. That is, that there appears to be in existence two avenues in which to pursue the hobby: a more traditional concept employing traditional techniques and materials, and a more professional larger scale product reliant on larger scales, different materials and greater space - this latter for both production and exhibit.
(However,a subsidiary goal of mine was that I was also hopping that some of our more reticent members - we have approximately 260 - might offer their opinions too.)
I have finally had the opportunity to check out the fine work of scratch39 as posted in the Gallery. His models appear to represent an example of the traditional approach: he uses balsawood, dope and has grappled with the problem of scale along with presenting other interesting solutions to modelling problems. In general, his models should be an aspiration for all those who may not possess the necessary tools, materials or space to pursue the hobby as it currently has evolved. After all it is a very democratic hobby and should exclude no one because they may lack resources.

Cliff

Mothman

I have a friend who has made a niche for himself, dare I say carved, in the world of slot car racing by making kits people can buy in resin of mainly Aston Martins.  He carves his own masters from balsawood and simply layers spray filler and sanding sealer until the finish is like glass.  He even cuts the panel lines in this most unforgiving material.
The models are then vacuum cast in resin for the final kits.  OK, I make his bumpers, filler caps, etc. in brass for white metal casting and he has photo-etched details made from his own artwork, but the basic body pattern is done in balsa wood.  I've given him pear and Ureol/CIBATool, but still he uses balsa wood!
Yet his models have taken over as the top quality available in that field...now mine have been withdrawn,  Haha!

Martin

Jim

It's worth bearing in mind that the word "amateur" derives from the Latin amator, or "lover". An amateur, therefore, is, in its truest sense, someone who does something for the love of it...

That's a definition of myself and my assocation with modelling I can certainly live with...
Quote from: lastvautour on October 08, 2011, 10:24:48 PM
The following comments were copied from another thread and are of interest.

Lou

I think that tradition lives on today in every amateur who joins this group today. No matter what level members are at, it's all equally important to the survival of the solid model hobby. I not just saying that because I'm very amateurish either

Peter

And so it goes...

Balsabasher

It always bugs me when the press are quick to say that 'This airplane is amateur built' what they do not realise is that far more care has gone into every single part on that machine than any factory could cope with,what is in a name after all ? some of the models shown here put commercial kits to shame.
Barry.

lastvautour

I prefer the "Novice" to "Master builder" categories. I place myself somewhere in the middle and I am quite happy to remain there. I appreciate and admire the work done by the Masters in our group and love to encourage and challenge the Novice who is just coming out.

Lou

Balsabasher

And encourage the novice you certainly do well Lou,the joy of putting something back into our hobby is keeping solid modelling alive.

Barry.

buccfan

I'll second that Barry, Lou's in depth help and tutorials are excellent and much appreciated. Regards Paul J.