• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Matson Liners?

Started by Lotus-14, May 10, 2011, 06:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotus-14

Does anyone out there have plans or drawings for the Matson Navigation/Oceanic Steamship "White Ships"?
The ships were the S.S. Malolo, Mariposa, Monterey, Lurline and Matsonia.  These were four ships build between 1925 and 1932.
There is a little confusion as these ships and two later ships built in the '50s, would swap names on occasion.
I am only interested in the four older ships.
It is very difficult to find good (or any for that matter) drawings of passenger liners that didn't hit an iceberg or get torpedoed.  ;)
There was a series of articles in Model Maker, then Model Boats called "Historic Liners", and although they published simple drawings of about 80 ships, I'm not sure they ever published one American flag ship.
I have searched the net extensively and have sent off requests for information to about 15 sites.  I've gotten answers from about 5 of the 15, and so far no joy.
In any case if you have or know of a source for drawings of the above ships please let me know.
Thanks for your help.
Regards, Tim

Mark Braunlich

Just found this here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212290

skipperfrankMar 17, 2010, 08:12 PM
My newest project now I been turning too on for the last month is the Matson liner S.S. LURILINE The hull is finished and I have the prominade and well decks installed this is my largest build I only wish I had a digical camera. 10 ft. long.If it wasn,t for Mr. Don Hood this build wouldn,t been made possible.

It started from a article that Mr. Hood let me have Ships In Scale 1983 Vol. No. 1 Very good reading to say the least, In the Article there is a Biographry of the LURILINE and her near sisters MARIPOSA MATSONIA MONTERAY Thw White Fleet. Best of all there are a set of plans drawn from the long time historian and modle builder Mr. Alan Ravan. I took these drawings to a printer and they blew them up to 10 ft. long a little smaller then 1/8th scale Big enough. I took a break from it today desided such as nice day the good lord gave us here in Ohio land I went sailiong today took my Ferris Cargo Ship out and my Northwind sail yacht as usual I,m the only guy that puts a boat in the water other then a fishing pole some of these peoiple out here act like they never seen a ship before. 2 differnt cultures I gues I,m from California liveing in the midwest. I going to try my best to get a digical camers this week and start uploading some pictures for you all to see :D:D:D:D

Here's the issue on ebay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/2-1983-Ships-Scale-Model-Magazine-1st-Issue-/320688640723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa8852d3

Mark Braunlich

Take a look at the 55" span solid Martin Mars on page 3 of the SS Lurline thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212290

Mark Braunlich

Some deck plans.

dave_t

Here is a 1/350 custom-built model of the S.S. Lurline http://www.maritimereplicas.com/details.php?id=282 - you cn buy it for $2850.00

Lotus-14

Mark,  Thank you for your help, I was able to download a copy of the Ships in Scale article which will be a great help.
Also thanks for the deck plans; I have a set of the originals.  I have a book, "The White Ships, 1927- 1978" which has lots of photos, and diagrams with details of the ships, but no over all drawings.
I also found that M.I.T. has all the original drawings from the builder in their museum archives.  They are going through them now, and we are trying to work out a partial payment for research by me supplying them with a SolidWorks file of the ship in 3D, otherwise I'd go broke trying to pay for their work. The drawings are on old fragile vellum, and they have to see if copies can be made.  The model I am starting will be for display at Filoli the estate now part of the national trust, owned by Lurline Matson Roth here in Woodside, California.  The scale is 1:200, so the model will be something like 37 inches long; not including the case.  This will be an interesting experience, as the hull and possibly some of decks are to be cut out of a very high density urethane board called REN Shape 470 using a large CNC work station. The stuff is very expensive, but I got a 4'X8' sheet 4 inches thick from a company I worked for; they didn't want it and were throwing it in the dumpster. Always make friends with the machine shop! ;)