• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Scales

Started by lastvautour, October 28, 2010, 08:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

As quoted from Cliff's post in WWI Cook-up.

Hi again gang. I guess I really was putting forth the idea that we should explore the possible advantages of scales that are not at all "standard" -  other than 1/32 and the like.

Lou

lastvautour

Cliff you are correct. Anyone can use any scale out side the "norm". An excellent example is Pete. He has a very small display area and must limit himself to a 9 inch model due to the shelf space he has available. This does not in any way hamper his workmanship not the subjects he chooses.  I started carving at an early age and did not know anything about scale other than the plane had to fit the piece of wood I managed to scrounge. Plastic manufacturers had box scale where the model had to fit the box. Only after years of building plastics did I get caught up in the "norm" scales for modeling wood projects.

Lou

vinairart

In many cases, building a solid wood model literally means building from "scratch". I suppose one could look at the standardardized scales that have been used since the 1930's as being hoh-hum, passe' and uhhh, well, standard. Those familiar with modeling and scale sizes for other modeling medium might not grasp that many of these models are not just "whacked together" from a kit. Having to see a model in a different scale might warrant that model a second or a longer lingering first look.

Since this activity is truely a combination of one's own physical capabiliites, a lot of "dengineering" and and eye for ART, there is no question that working with another scale just gives more depth and respect to those pursuing the craft.

By all means, I would be the first to applaud any person who explores that added element of an off-beat scale that they have created their model.

Regards,
Tom Sanders   
Tom "Sandman" Sanders

dave_t

A few years ago, I made one model in 1/104 because that was as large as I could get the three-view on a single sheet of printer paper ::).

Mark Braunlich

Two scales that with time have fallen from common use for solid model airplanes are 1:36 and 1:64.

1:36 (1 inch = 3 feet) was somewhat popular in England before WW2 and I believe originated with model soldiers (Britains).  The similar but "metric" 1:35 scale is still in common use for military modeling (tanks and other military vehicles).

1:64 (3/16 inch = 1 foot) was popular in the U.S.A. during WW2 and up into the start of the plastic era.   Many solid model plans appearing in magazines during that era were in this scale and several kits were offered in 1:64.   Lindberg offered a handful of plastic airplane kits in this scale.  It's a nice scale between 1:48 and 1:72 that matches the old American Flyer model trains.   It survives as a common scale for die-cast model cars, farm equipment and to those who still build model railroads to "S" gauge.

Peter

1/64th is also the most popular wargaming scale (28mm). I'm planning on making several amphibian aircraft
for my Pulp games. Once I have a few ID models under my belt. 

cliff strachan

A very interesting discussion concerning scale - especially the remarks by Mark. I've always been interested in the topic especially as I hope to someday build a model of the DH82C (as I used to own one). The problem is really one of where do you draw the line. On the one hand you want to detail as much as possible and to show its relative size but if the model is too large allowing for the detailing - and yet not too large so that detailing would approach the  actual aircraft - one ends up with a similar vintage aircraft being so large that it is not amenable to the constraints of construction materials and methods or storage and display facilities.
Cliff