• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Using pins and a drill press to align carving details.

Started by otimo, February 12, 2010, 11:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otimo

Hi all!

Did there used to be a tutorial on this site about cutting the head off a pin and then using the pin and a drill press to establish points in the interior of a wood block so you'd know when you'd carved enough wood off?  I can't remember the technique exactly, or if you were supposed to use several pins and leave them in the wood as you carved, or if just leaving a pinhole in the center of the wood would suffice.  After 2 days of searching the board for this technique, I'm giving up and asking!   Does anyone know if you leave the pins in and carve around them, or if you simply look for pinholes in the wood, (I would think it would be hard to find them) or have any input on this (or a better) technique for knowing when you've carved enough wood, or know if this article is lurking somewhere on this board?

Thanks a ton!

Oceaneer99

Otimo,

Never be afraid to ask here.  I know the article you mention, and it is on Kenny Horne's web site, "Pin Points Do the Trick":

http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~idesign/feb-04/feb-2004.html

I think the idea is to drill holes and then look for them as you carve.

Garet

otimo

Thanks Garet!

That's the article alright!  I was sure I'd seen the info on this site, as this is where I always come looking for info, but it must've been a link I ran across a while back.  Finally went and got a small drill press, so now I can get started - once I decide what type of wood to use!

Balsabasher

This technique is used in a similar fashion by sculptors to execute intricate designs,I once saw a programme with bouncing bomb/geodetic construction designer Barnes Wallis enjoying his passion of sculpting,and yes he used this system although he admitted that he was not really a sculptor !
Barry.