• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Old MSN Site

Started by R.F.Bennett, October 23, 2008, 08:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

MSN will be closing it's groups in February 2009, They have given an option to move them to another server (an affiliate) called Multiply, This appears to be done with great effort and anyone wanting to access it would have to join this other site. So I'm not going to do it. I believe all of the images have been transfered but some of the links and many of the very informative tips in the post have not been transfered, some of them from people who are no longer members. I'm not sure that all of those old posts would transfer to the new server anyway. So give it a long look because after Feb of 09' it will all be gone. I guess we got out while the gettin' wuz good  :o  :-*

http://groups.msn.com/SolidModelMemories/_whatsnew.msnw
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Ray,

We really have to thank you for taking the initiative to get our own site.  I can't imagine trying to migrate in three months at the height of model-building season!

I have in the past used some web archive software, with mixed results.  I'll see if it works for archiving the MSN discussions.  I'm not hopeful, though, since they seem to have a difficult to navigate site.

Garet

Oceaneer99

I've tried evaluation copies of several software titles to see if they will download the old SMM site.  Most just downloaded the main page and then stopped, since Microsoft used very nonstandard file extensions and path names that are very, very long.  One downloaded many MB of files, and I can see a lot of messages, but I can't get to the second page of General messages, so I'm not yet sure if they are saved or not.