• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Transferring large files

Started by lastvautour, September 05, 2017, 09:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have transferred a 50M file but have forgotten how I did it. I also sent myself a 15M file and that one I remember how. Short of uploading to the cloud, any ideas?

Lou

buccfan

Where are you trying to transfer to and send from Lou, from PC to PC or something similar? regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Yes but somehow forgot what I did. Right now I am trying gmail which will transfer up to 25 m.
Over 25 m it send a like to some internet address where the file is held.

Lou

Model Maker

Hi Lou

You may wish to try to "Zip" the files. Zipping compresses the file size but doesn't loose any content. To create a ZIP file in windows, place all the files / folders under a single root folder. Then right mouse click on the single folder and select "send to". The "send to" will display several options, one of which is "Compressed (zip) folder".  When you select the "Compressed (zip) folder",  windows will create a new folder identical to the one you selected including all the files and sub folders etc. Depending on the type of files, the new folder will usually be a smaller size. Zip files can be sent just like any other files. The joy is the file structure and documents always stay together. When someone receives a zip file, they simply click on it and the complete set of folders and documents are viewable in the standard windows fashion. They can also be selected and managed just like in Windows explorer.

Hoping this may be of assistance - ken

buccfan

Ken beat me to it, I was going to suggest zipping the files, but i had a similar problem and bought a small 32GB USB stick made by Sandisc that has a normal usb plug on one end and the small usb on the other,and a button on the side which you slide one way or the other to push out which size you need to use. The large size fits your PC and the small size fits mobile phones and tablets. Regards Paul J.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-32GB-Ultra-Android-Drive/dp/B00HR78S2Q

lastvautour

PDF do not zip well. I tried and reduced the file size by less than 1%. I will keep trying.

Lou