• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Sopwith Triplane commenced 2 Jan 2021 Completed 3 Mar 2022

Started by Boomerang, January 02, 2021, 01:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

A great beginning for your engine Gordon.

Lou

Boomerang

Thank you Lou.

Few more wobbly bits to put on.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Couple of hours spent on engine. That's done . Only going to put exhausts ( made from trimmed down bamboo skewer ) on cylinders that are exposed on the bottom. It will be a non rotary rotary . Need to pare down the cowling carefully to greet it to fit.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

I like to look and detail on the rotary engine. The pushrods are well done and they add a lot to the look. It always astounded me that some rotary engines were 9 cylinders and 110+ hp.
Fraser

lastvautour

Boomerang

Starting to put this all together.

Cockpit installed. Stabiliser and lower wing attached. Ran out of fingers lining up the wings . Spinning up the brain to come up with a jig.

Picture to follow. Need to make a seat.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Wirraway and Vampire are occupying the time available so the Triplane will progress in the New Year.

Gordon

Boomerang

Looking to finish this early in the New Year.

Most of the bits have been done. Rigging holes drilled. Just have to make up a jig to increase the number of fingers to align the wings.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Gordon, the sub-assemblies look great! It looks like one of those kit built aircraft advertisements that would have all the parts laid out to show how easy and fast it can be built. Then again, some of use put as many hours into building our models as homebuilders do with a kit plane.....
Looking forward to the completion.
raser

lastvautour

Fantastic model Gordon. I like the ribbing effect on your wings.

Lou

Boomerang

Thank you Lou and Fraser.

Now comes the interesting bit. Putting it together . Making sure it is relatively square.
Have sourced a black plastic takeaway coffee cup lid for the control horns.

Tossing up whether to use EZY line or small gauge craft wire for the rigging. Also I will try making the turnbuckles from a stretched tube of a
Cotton bud.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Starting to finish the Triplane off.

BUT...... I've had a bit of an OMG event.

Port Middle wing was a wee bit long. So had to do some surgery.

That has been over come.

Managed to get centre struts aligned and glued. Everything thing seemed OK

So jigged it all up and the top wing didn't look right . It sat a bit high.

More surgery in progress.

While pondering the above I have made up the cockpit coating with a bit of garden tie wire wrapped with tissue soaked in a weak mix of PVA
And water. Seems to have worked.

Pictures to follow.

Gordon

Gearup

Looking forward to the pictures of the cockpit.
Fraser

Boomerang

Wings attached. Contemplating the rigging. Cockpit foaming, undercarriage and tailplane not attached yet.

Gordon

Boomerang

Propeller not attached. Pencil marks are rigging location.

Quality control guy will be busy.

Cheers

Gordon