• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Magazines

Started by Oceaneer99, May 06, 2010, 06:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

Lotus, that is a painful tale to hear!  :-[

I have a number of magazines that are in poor condition due to acids in the paper.  I definitely need to scan and share the interesting plans and articles.

In general, I have a magazine problem, with subscriptions to boat magazines (I now only get Messing About in Boats) and woodworking magazines (Fine Woodworker, though I occasionally buy others) starting to pile up.  I've taken to tabbing interesting articles with 1 x 3 inch post-it notes (these are definitely NOT ARCHIVAL, so I don't recommend that for old magazines).  I've slowly been working through back issues, including some plastic model magazines with nice 3-views and scratchbuild articles.  I'm not sure if I'll scan or just tear out the interesting articles when I've gone through them all.

QuoteI have uploaded a plan from Model Airplane News of the Lockheed U-2 dated March 1958.
I found this copy in some file boxes of saved model plans in my basement.  The drawing is on old yellowed and stained newsprint, and was torn in half, but I thought it would be fun to relate the story of these plans to those of you who weren't alive when Gary Powers was shot down May 1, 1960.
This plan from MAN, was on the front page of the New York Times, with an article about how model airplane builders had known about the U-2 for 2 years before anyone else.
Of course that was not true, but the fact that there were drawings of the plane in a hobby magazine two years before the general public knew about it, made a lot of us feel pretty smug.  I was in high school when the magazine came out, and in college when Powers was shot down.
I am trying to search through my collection and get some drawings onto the web site.  I had many hundreds of old magazine and kit plans, but unbeknown to me, I suffered water damage, because of an extra wet winter.  I lost boxes and boxes of plans, magazines, and books; a lot of which are irreplaceable. Throwing out every issue of Flying Aces was pretty traumatic.  Because of that, I have been trying to scan and save what I can.  Unfortunately there was lots of mold, and particularly with slick clay coated paper and newsprint, much of it stuck together so you end up with a solid block.  Oh well.
In any case I will try to put some interesting stuff on the site; having learned the hard way, that they don't do anyone any good if they can't be used.

animek

Oceaneer99

Two 1943 Model Airplane News scanned last night (just the interesting pages)!   :)

dave_t

Who is solidmodelmemoriesTM?

R.F.Bennett

That is Lotus, He has been helping us sort the gallery files.  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

R.F.Bennett

His name is Tim, He posts here as Lotus-14. He has done us an invaluable service by helping Garet and I sort the backlog of donated plans and files in the gallery. He also restores them and archives them for us. He has posted a PDF about uploading here;

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/Some_information_on_file_uploads_and_formats.pdf

Right click this and select save to download it.

Thanks Tim  ;D  :P  :-*  :'(
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

Hi, I am not real crazy about my Hillson Bi-Mono drawing being attributed to Balsabasher. I think Barry's carvings and drawing contributions are terrific, but I spent a good two years scouring period magazines and books at various libraries trying to find details on this plane to create a reasonable three-view. Not finding a factory blueprint yet, I may have to redraw it eventually if more details come along. Nearly had a heart attack when I saw the attributes had been changed. :-*

Oceaneer99

Dave,
We apologize and have fixed the attribution. It was an autofill problem when we were moving and updating the file information.

In future, if anyone notices an attribution problem or error, use the "report this image" button. That's what that button is for, and the administrators get a report that makes it easy to find the right file and fix it.

Garet

R.F.Bennett

There are 4001 files for us to work with, It's going to take us awhile to achieve perfection. When you send us a report please be very specific as to the problem.  ;D
"The Dude Abides"