• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII- DC-3 Balsa Model

Started by spider web, November 24, 2008, 02:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spider web

This is my first of I hope many future postings.
During WWII, my dad bought me a model of the DC-3 at Woolworths in Darby, PA.  The kit contained a couple of packets of powdered casien glue that had to be mixed with water before using.........what a mess !
I'm trying to find out who made this kit and if there is any information still available.
I remember well the early Strombecker kits that were meant for recognition models.

R.F.Bennett

Were the parts pre-carved, basic cut-outs or just blocks of balsa. Any plastic or metal parts. Do you remember if the patterns were a separate piece of cardboard or just cut from the plan. Was the plan big and on gloss paper, colors? Or just plain thick rough paper. Decals?
"The Dude Abides"

spider web

As I vaguely recall, I know that there were some balsa chunks in the kit for the nose and motors that had to be carved.  I think the fuselage formers were die cut cardboard that was slipped on to center tube.  The tail and wings were printed on sheet balsa.
I know during this wartime period, rubber, balsa and like materials were used for the war effort.   Die cut cardboard formers and pine stringers were common.  With no rubber bands or gas motors available, whip models and gliders were common.
I look forward to meeting up with some of my peer group that lived through this period and share memories.

spider web

"Eureeka!"
For some reason, yesterday when I was working on carving a model of the "Bill Barnes"   airplane, "The Silver Lancer", I remembered enough about the kit that was verified by visiting the www.collectair.com.

Scrolling through vintage kit sections, I found it. It was the "Cleveland" models kit of the DC-2.
What a relief it was in finding this kit.

Does anyone know where I ;D could get a copy of the plans that was in that kit ?

The spider

cliff strachan

What a wonderful site you've offered, Spider. Thanks a lot.

Cliff

R.F.Bennett

Steve is a member, although I don't think he visits often, I'm sure one of our members probably has that plan and could be co-earsed into posting it for us. We often beg, borrow and steal plans. We also have a number of kit collectors out there who help us with plans even though they don't build them.
"The Dude Abides"

spider web

I wrote Steve a personal E-mail to see if happened to have the Cleveland DC-2 plan.
It's not that I don't have enough to do but when the bug bites me to start a model i do.
Yesterday I cut some blanks for some the good guys and bad guys aircraft featured in the Bill Barnes stories.
It's nice not to have to account to anyone but yourself !

The Spider ;D

JeffH

Spider,
This may not be what you're looking for, but a 1934 issue of "Cleveland Model Making News and Practical Hobbies" included plans for a 1/96th Douglas DC-1 solid model.

JeffH

spider web

Thanks Jeff, It's not the Cleveland plan, but for my purposes, it's great !

I downloaded and printed out three copies on card stock. I use cardstock so that I have one print that apply grid lines to for taking off measurements, the second for reference and the third is cut out for templates and gages.

"Merry Christmas" to you and your family
Jim Webb, aka, The Spider ;D

spider web

Much apprecited "Dude"

I downloaded the first two of the prints and printed them out on card stock in making templates. The third print would not open up.

I truly appreciate your going out of your way in posting these prints.

I shall reciprocate in kind, just ask me.

If anyone wants to build any of the Piasecki helicopters I might be able to provide some inside information on them.   I worked on building the XHRP1, HUP,H-16, H-21, CH-46 and CH-47

Thanks again for your help...

The Spider