• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Progress Reports

Started by lastvautour, July 16, 2008, 12:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

How is it goimg in Edmonton. Down east carvers are starving for progress reports.

Kenny Horne

Hey Lou et al,

Been doing alot of wood butchering lately, and though my latest project resembles your fantastic carrier, alas I'm doing no models.  I'm currently working on a workbench that should see a few models when she's done.  Specs top 4x24x96 32" high with 5" square legs.  It's made of poplar (I'll tell you later if that was a tragic idea :-\) but even still that top weighs a ton.  I'm squaring the corners of 1 1/2 x 3" leg mortises today and cutting some oak pegs for the draw pins.  Making the 4" long x 3/8" sq pins into 3/8" octagons is alot like solid carving  :D

I've made a lovely bench for all of my sharpening tools/stuff and a couple of keen saw benches.  This is all at work, and I gotta say that I'm done with sood when I get home.  Going on holidays soon so I may break out my Japanese cook-up model I kitted up last summer. 

Takecare guys and keep up the wonderful work,

Kenny

lastvautour

Good to see you still with us. Have a safe holiday and shows us photos of that bench.

Lou

Kenny Horne

Hey Guys,

Here are a couple of pictures of my bench, pretty messy but I've not yet taken her out for the fancy photoshoot yet...

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0
I've blocked up a fuselage (alder) for a Catalina.  With luck I'll have some time to play around with her.

Take care all

Kenny

Oceaneer99

Very nice bench, Kenny.  I like the carving in the leg vise.  And what a good idea to put the desk lamp in a dog hole!  I also like the saw bench below.

Garet

PS let us know how the alder carves.  It's pretty plentiful here in the Pacific NW, and I used it for edging on my workbench, but I haven't thought to make a model of it.  I think my kitchen countertops are made with alder as well (not that rot resistant, so you have to keep it well oiled ).

Kenny Horne

Thanks Garet,

I shamelessly stole the general plan from "Workbenches: From Design & Theory to Construction & Use" (Popular Woodworking Books) by Chris Schartz, who shamelessly stole it from The Workbench Book" (Taunton Press) by Scott Landis, who shamelessly stole it from "L'art du Menuisier" by Jaques-Andre Roubo (ca. 1770) who shamelessly stole it from generations of french joiners.  I've probably read Landis' book from cover to cover a half dozen times in the last decade and have begun to seriously consider a couple of  choices, and finally went through with this one.  Still not quite complete, need jaws/cover for end vise, but I'm using it full on now and I like it.

Take care

Kenny

Oceaneer99

It looks like your Catalina is coming along.  Thanks for posting the "bench in use" photos. I love looking at those.

Garet

Kenny Horne

Hi Garet,

Ya the Cat is coming on.  The alder is very nice to carve, though it is a little harder than bass.  I've been pushing a chisel or two for much of it, as knife whitttlin' is slow for the hogging out stage.  I remember as a cabinetmaking student using alder for many of our exercises.  It makes you feel good about your abilities to pare and plane :-)

I do recommend trying it if you have some laying around.  It should hold sharp details nicely, though I'll report more on that when I get to that stage.

Take care,

Kenny

lastvautour

Just looked at your Catalina/Canso. Which will she be? RCAF or USAAF?

Lou
Looks like a great beginning. Send more pictures!